Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps taking up too much space on my computer harddrive?

Hi guys,

Whenever I hook my iPad & iPhone up to iTunes it automatically starts to upload all of the apps from both devices onto my computer. This wouldn't be such a problem, but between the iPhone and the iPad, it takes up around 40 GB of space from apps all by themselves. I store music/videos on an external harddrive so I'm not completely starved for harddrive space but I was wondering if someone could tell me what I can do to keep my iPad/iPhone apps from eating up too much space on my computer?

Seems like I should be able to avoid having the iPhone/iPad (I use both) upload and backup all of my apps to my computer through iTunes but I also tried doing a backup straight ti iCloud and it didn't do the trick.

Does anyone have any answers on this please? Thanks.

Posted on May 24, 2012 1:39 AM

7 replies

May 24, 2012 3:36 AM in response to Tm985

400 apps taking up 13.6Gb so I get an estimate of 1,175 (wow I have some bulky apps!) but 40Gb sounds like quite a haul.

A couple of things come to mind. First is that occasionally iTunes can neglect to delete the old copy when apps are updated so you could have some orphaned files in your Mobile Applications folder.

Second, your apps should be stored in the same location as your music and movies but I'm guessing from what you've written that they're not. This means you are likely to have a split library with the database and supporting files on your internal drive and media in another folder, but in the old school layout. Assuming you are happy letting iTunes organize your files (and you have a backup) using File > Library > Organize Library > Rearrange files in the folder <Media Folder>, followed by File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate files will sort that out. You'll have to delete the now redundant copies of the apps on your internal drive. The good news is that this will have dealt with any orphaned apps.

In the long term you might want to consider making your library portable.

Note switching to iCloud backup should not remove any content from your computer. I suspect purchases still get transferred when syncing but I've not tested it.

tt2

May 24, 2012 3:41 AM in response to the fiend

That's both my iPad and my iPhone combined. What happens is when I plug the device into my computer and open up iTunes, it seems as though it's automatically backing up the apps onto my computer. 40GB was wrong, it's closer to 20GB, but that number comes from both devices having all apps/games backed up onto the computer. It's basically 10GB of apps/games on each device.

I'm just trying to figure out what I have to do to prevent my devices from backing up all of these apps/games onto my computer and having that chunk of space devoted to app/game storage if that makes sense.

May 24, 2012 3:45 AM in response to Tm985

iTunes backs up your apps in case you need to restore the device. When restoring application data is only restored if the app can also be put onto the device so having all the components to hand is a good thing, even if it takes up some room on your hard drive. Perhaps if you backup to the cloud then it might not be necessary to keep copies on your computer, but frankly I would not risk it.

There are pleny of apps that come in universal versions where one app can serve both iPhone and iPad so I would expect a degree of overlap. Compare the number of files in the Mobile Applications folder with the number listed in the Apps section of the library (this number will also include any older ClickWheel games you may have).

tt2

May 24, 2012 4:07 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your input. After giving it some second thought, I'm just going to leave it as-is. I have plenty of space on my internal harddrive as it is and I have an external hard drive with 1.5TB of space (900GB free) so I'm just going to leave everyone as-is. I got a little concerned when I saw how much space the apps/games were taking up but I'm glad I waited and didn't jump the gun.

One quick quesiton though---I noticed there's an option that says "manually configure music/videos." As far as I knew, I was already manually configuring my music videos but this option wasn't checked. What exactly does that option do? I already turn off auto sync and just go through and check specific things that I want to sync on my device.

Thanks for the input.

May 24, 2012 4:47 AM in response to Tm985

If you drag & drop content from your library to the device then you are manually managing it. If you are adjusting checkboxes then clicking the sync button in the lower right of the device display then you are syncing. There is an option under Edit > Preferences > Devices to prevent automatic sync on connect, but that's not the same as manually managing.

tt2

Apps taking up too much space on my computer harddrive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.