Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 volume buttons not working

iphone 4 volume and mute buttons not working, checked all settings they are all fine and when headphones in it works??? When I take out headphones the volum buttons do not work, when phone rings or text receives only vibrates???? HELP!!!!

iPhone 4

Posted on May 24, 2012 4:34 AM

20 replies

May 24, 2012 5:19 AM in response to ozzierose

This could be due to some debris or dirt inside the headphones jack that makes the iPhone think that the headphones are connected even when they are not.

Try to see if you can clean the jack being very careful, with canned air as sold in electronics store. Some people have been successful by introducing and withdrawing the headphones jack several times in a row to displace whatever is in there if it is lodged in.

Avoid introducing anything else like a pointed object. You could damage the jack.

If all of this does not work, I would try first resetting the phone by holding the home button and the power button together for about 15 seconds or until the whilte apple appears, then waiting until the phone resets. If the problem continues after this, take it to an Apple Store to see what they believe should be done.

Sep 30, 2012 2:32 PM in response to ozzierose

My problem doesn't have anything to do with headsets. I have my sounds set to Vibrate and Ring. When I go to my sound settings and check my ringtone, the ringetone is heard. The other sounds (text tones, new voicemail, etc..) are not heard - only vibrate. When I get a call,I hear the ringtone. However, when I get a text message or voicemail or anything else, I only get the vibrate. I've checked all my settings. This has been happening on and off over the past week to week and a half. Also, when I press each of my volume buttons, the volume box is empty and does not show any bars, whether I press to increase the volume or press to decrease the volume.

May 12, 2013 9:07 AM in response to ozzierose

Go to settings, general, accessibility, assistive touch (turn on). A small box will apppear with a white circle on your home screen. Click "Device" and You'll be able to control the volume using the touch screen. You can drag it and movd it around your screen. You can also go back to settings and turn it off after you adjust the volume if you dont want it there anymore.

iphone 4 volume buttons not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.