Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to solve this??

Has anyone found a loophole that doesn't require to remove the jack?

Posted on May 24, 2012 6:08 AM

3 replies

Jan 9, 2013 10:16 AM in response to duarte118

duarte118 wrote:

Has anyone found a loophole that doesn't require to remove the jack?

I read this one on another thread. It works for me, at least for the Mid 2010 Mac mini (that I'm using right now). I don't know if it works also with more recent Mac mini models.

Open Audio MIDI Setup.app in /Applications/Utility, click the + (plus) button in the bottom left corner of the window and choose "Create Multi-Output Device". In the new device settings tick the HDMI "Use" checkbox and you're done. Simply go to the usual System Preferences Audio panel and choose the newly created device, without the need to unplug the audio cable from the back of the Mac mini. You can also name the new audio device as you want.

NOTE:

This is only a workaround for a deliberate choice made by Apple on OS X Lion 10.7.2 and beyond:

Mac mini: About HDMI audio and headphones

Please let Apple know (here or here) how this has made things unnecessary awkward for users and needs to be fixed (these forums don't count, they are not read by Apple's employees)!

Is there a way to solve this??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.