Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best iPad case for hospital/ER use?

Hi all,

I'm an ER doc and our department just received new iPads as we move into the electronic medical records age.

I need a strong yet practical (lightweight) iPad case.

We will carry it from patient room to room and use it for documenting histories and charts.

I've read other threads about practical sanitation of iPads but that's not that big of deal since I'd rather just take it out of the case to clean it or just wipe the whole thing in its entirety with our sanitation wipes.

I'm mainly looking for something that can protect against drops, spills/blood/fluids but not weigh like a brick.

Our documentation program is also compatible with a stylus.

Are the hard screen protectors on most cases OK for stylus use in terms of accuracy and details?

Any input and reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

iPad

Posted on May 24, 2012 9:14 AM

13 replies

May 24, 2012 9:31 AM in response to GummyD

There basically is no case that will protect an iPad from a drop, especially on the hard surfaces used in hospitals to facilitate easy sanitizing of the surface. IPads are fragile and you can't control how it lands.

Screen protectors are not reported to interfere with using a stylus. Unfortunately, the capacitive surface used for the iPad is based on using fingers and so the stylus tips that are required for a stylus are also chubby and a bit awkward to use, just like a finger. The Jot Pro from Adonit is reported to offer the most precise writing of any stylus you can buy.

http://adonit.net/product/jot-pro/

Aug 22, 2012 7:57 PM in response to GummyD

GummyD and other docs,

My company Alphyn Industries just developed a scrub that holds your iPad for you on your chest with our LEDGE system. It frees both your hands and the iPad is suspended perpendicular to your chest when needed.

To put the iPad away, the pocket flap is simply zipped up. We have not launched is commercially yet, and we are looking for doctors who want to work with us and help us make it mainstream.

We aree also working on a disposable film pack to keep the screen sanitary in the OR.

You can see the LEDGE application in our commercial PADX-1 fleece jacket:

http://alphynind.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=26&product_id=57

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Please contact me for more details.

<Edited by Host>

Aug 26, 2014 4:59 PM in response to GummyD

Hi Gummy D, Dah-veed, & Other Thread Responders;

I know this thread is a year old, but I wanted to reply. The FDA recently approved 8/2014) the first Sterile Solution for the Digital OR called eShield.

Web: www.eshieldOR.com Twitter: @eShieldOR

 It is the first sterile cover that allows use of cell phones, tablets and cameras in the sterile field.

 Surgeons can access diagnostic imagery, medical history, and lab results via smartphone or tablet.

 Document surgical cases with photos that are super-sharp due to ultra-clear film.

My company designed the marketing materials for this product.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

<Edited by Host>

Aug 26, 2014 5:04 PM in response to sgchicago

sgchicago wrote:

Hi Gummy D, Dah-veed, & Other Thread Responders;

I know this thread is a year old,

to be correct, it is 2 years old.

 It is the first sterile cover that allows use of cell phones, tablets and cameras in the sterile field.

Actually, it's far from the first.

There have been sterile iPad covers approved for OR/ER for over 2 years.

Best iPad case for hospital/ER use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.