Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover formatted external hard drive with file names and folder structure

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this....

I accidentally formatted my external hard drive when I was creating a Windows USB install disk with Boot Camp 😠 It was a HFS+ formatted drive with a GUID partition table and 2 partitions: one clone of my Macbook OS, and one with personal data. I'm not worried about the OS clone, I'm more concerned about getting my personal data back on the second partition.

So far I've used Stellar Phoenix and Data Rescue 3. I reformatted the hard drive from FAT to HFS+ before I did these scans. Not sure if it was a good idea, but the programs wouldn't scan properly otherwise.

Stellar finds my files with the original folder structure, but I can't open any of the files, even though the file sizes seem to be correct. Data Rescue partially finds the original folder structure, and also has a "Reconstructed files" section which has all my files sorted by file type and without the original file name. I really want to avoid going through all my photos, videos, etc. one by one to sort them out.

Can I still recover my files in the original folder structure? Why can Stellar find all my files basically intact, but I can't open anything? I'd really appreciate it if someone can help me out here!! Thanks in advance!

In the meantime, I'm going to try scanning with Disk Drill and FileSalvage with fingers crossed...

Posted on May 24, 2012 8:26 AM

1 reply

Recover formatted external hard drive with file names and folder structure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.