Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fetch and/or push what do they mean ?

Hi all, i have just got my iPhone configured to recieve emails from the same accounts that i recieve emails from on my MacBookPro.

When looking at Settings/Mail Accounts on my iPhone there is an option to Fetch New Data and further option to Push On or Push Off ?

Can someone please explain what Push and Fetch are all about please.

Tim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), iPad 2, iPhone 4S

Posted on May 24, 2012 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2012 11:32 AM

Wowee thanks a lot for that, i certainly asked for it didnt I, OK so i am now clear on that without any shadow of a doubt !.

Now of course i am equally confused about IMAP versus POP, i have POP ok, but to change to IMAP, simply to allow my emails to be kept on the server, i have to Delete my email accounts completely and start again, why isnt anything ever SIMPLE ???

tim

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2012 11:32 AM in response to paulcb

Wowee thanks a lot for that, i certainly asked for it didnt I, OK so i am now clear on that without any shadow of a doubt !.

Now of course i am equally confused about IMAP versus POP, i have POP ok, but to change to IMAP, simply to allow my emails to be kept on the server, i have to Delete my email accounts completely and start again, why isnt anything ever SIMPLE ???

tim

fetch and/or push what do they mean ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.