Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple Prores is jitter on osx10.6.8 but 10.7 or 10.5 is not

I found a weird issue with Apple Proress and different Osx version

I was having a terrible headeach working with this codec for motion graphics and text on finalcut all the borders of the colors or lines was showing jitter or kind of aliasing problem. so bad that I use proress only for offline and doing all the onlines with uncompress. and I couldn't understand how people use this for broadcast quality.

but I found today something really weird, the same quicktime that look horrible jittering on 3 different computers with osx10.6.8 (2 of them with blackmagic design cards for final cut) when you playback on a 10.7 system or 10.5 system it looks perfect

I just don't understand what's going on? any help? anyone experience the same thing?

this issue is the same on 422, 422HQ or 4444. the problem is on all format of apple proress

Posted on May 24, 2012 9:56 AM

17 replies

May 24, 2012 11:33 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

Hi Michael, thanks for your time

actually it doesn't matter what settings you have on fcp or after effects or any software because just playing the quicktime in quicktime player it looks bad.

at first I thought like you do, and I was driving mad changing setting on prores sequences until I give up and choose this codec just for offline editing. and believe I'm having this problem for about 1 year now so I tried everything.

but today someone send me a 4444 prores file to add to an ending of a tv commercial,

you can easy see the jittering on the borders of the text and graphics on Osx10.6.8 at quicktime player.

I ask for a better quality file and they told me that they used prores for onlines and that they can see it ok. so I tried on my notebook with 10.7 and boom it looks perfect then I went to an old G5 with 10.5 and it looks perfect. but in 3 others mac with 10.6.8 it look awfull (the ones that we use for edit) . this test was just hitting play on quicktime player.

I would love to use prores for high quality editing and I can't don't want to update everything to 10.7....

it should be any fix,

May 24, 2012 11:44 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

yes I know.

we do have blackmagic cards with video monitors. and of course you can see the jitter there too.

the question is why it looks awfull on osx10.6 and it looks perfect on 10.5 and 10.7

the quicktime test is just to get as basic as posible and you can see the big jittering awfull aliasing just on the quicktime player. plus why the same prores 4444 and 422 looks really bad at 10.6 and it's ok at 10.7

May 29, 2012 9:59 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

Hi Michael, I couldn't find your email and I'm sorry I couldn't reply faster but I was really busy.

ok, this is driving me mad.

all of my computer with 10.6.8 are playing apple prores really bad. even playing back thru blackmagic to a monitor.

but the problem I think is in the quicktime player and all this softwares are based on quicktime.

so I just playback a test on osx10.6.8 and osx10.7 and took a picture (I know is not the way but this is a huge problem not a little aliasing or field order problem) just to show you how bad quicktime show apple prores on my computers

http://www.triadstudio.tv/ftp/prores1068.png

http://www.triadstudio.tv/ftp/Prores107.png

apple Prores is jitter on osx10.6.8 but 10.7 or 10.5 is not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.