Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new iphone lists wrong phone number when trying to sync with itunes

I received my new iphone 4s in the mail and when I try adding it to my itunes for syncing the wrong phone number shows up. The phone works and the number is correct but the one Itunes recognizes is a different number.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 24, 2012 10:36 AM

3 replies

May 24, 2012 1:26 PM in response to whatheck

I received the phone by mail. I had ATT activate it with my old phone number I had on a blackberry. Everything works fine. The number under settings>phone> my number is the correct phone number.

It's when I try to add this phone to Itunes with a USB cable, itunes recognizes a different number. So i'm guessing the sim came with that number and when ATT activated the phone with my correct number, that this number is still in the phone memory somehow.

At ATT they say the phone is fine. My new number is recognized and works properly. It's just that when adding it to my itunes the new number is not recognized on the initial setup screen.

I'm not even sure this matters but itunes recognizes this phone with a different number than the one that works.

May 24, 2012 2:40 PM in response to whatheck

A few of the other threads suggest turning off FaceTime and iMessages, then turning the iPhone off and back on.

To do that, you would just tap Settings > FaceTime, slide to Off.

Then tap Settings > Messages, slide iMessage to Off.

Then restart the iPhone.

To see if it worked, check iTunes to see if the number updated and re-enable iMessages and FaceTime.

If that doesn't do it, give AT&T another call.

new iphone lists wrong phone number when trying to sync with itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.