Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac - DVD drive trouble (noise and hanging)

Hello,

my iMac (27'', mid 2010, Core i7, OSX 10.7.4) recently makes some trouble with its DVD drive:

1. The drive often makes horrible noises like a shredder. In this context the disc sometimes doesn't eject. Only Rebooting helps.

2. More and more frequently the drive hangs, the connected application (e.g. iTunes, Auditri or Handbrake) hangs and also Disk Utility. Rebooting doesn't help (white freezing screen), only shutdown and complete startup with clicked Trackpad to remove disc.

My question: Is it a hardware or software error? The iMac is still qualified for AppleCare. Should I make a repair request to Apple? Thanks in advance!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 24, 2012 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2012 10:41 AM

It sounds like a hardware problem. It could be a software problem, but you say that the drive makes noises. Call AppleCare or take it to an Apple Store

17 replies

May 24, 2012 11:06 AM in response to chomolungma73

Open Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities. Highlight the drive, the topmost listing and look down at the bottom left of the page. Verified won't mean all that much. A drive can be failing and still be verified, but if it's not verified, you know its days, maybe minutes, are numbered. Could be a bad fan, but the symptoms sound like the drive. Definitely mechanical.

User uploaded file

iMac - DVD drive trouble (noise and hanging)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.