Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mDNS (Bonjour) Error?

Dear all

Since the update to 10.7.4 (Server Version) my server seems not to publish it's services correctly anymore, especially the AFP shares, printers and time machine volumnes (which I think is just a special type of AFP share).

At first I did not recognize the problem, only when I took down one of my households MBPs and trying to reconnect to a shared printer, which it did not find anymore. A little more digging also showed, that no TM backups where done anymore and that the server showed up under "Network" in finder as being a PC (different kind of icon).

I can not connect to it anymore by clicking on the icon, but when I do a "Connect to Server" and enter the UNC path afp://server/User or even afp://server/ only I get the choice on how and where to connect, and conenction just works fine. Also, mobile user accounts and their syncing of home folders still works great.

I tryed several things already, from switching of any other mDNS (Bonjour) devices in the local network, restarting the complete server, restartting file sharing, clearing all file shares and reenabling them, restart ing DNS service, and changing several different Bonjour relating settings. Nothing helped, but what I recognized while doing so: When you start up ServerAdmin and go to the Settings Tab, General Settings a radio button for client discovery with bonjour is shown as the last item, but when the status are updated this radio butten disapears.

I did not find any error, warning or other messages from mDNS in the /var/log/syslog, so now I am totaly out of options where to look. Also, a Google search did not give any helpful results.

Can someone point me in the right direction where to continue my search or whether additional information is needed to follow up on this problem?

Thanks in Advance

jheipmann

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Lion Server

Posted on May 24, 2012 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2012 12:23 PM

All

I now found the root cause, it was not even related to Lion (only by co-incidence it occured at the same day). Root cause what that I set up a VLAN on my D-Link Router in order to be able to seperate certain network traffic. What I did not recognize was that a filter on Multicast packets was set at that event, whch prevented the mDNS traffic to come through. After allowing untagged multicast on the VLAN 1 now everything is back to normal.

BR

jheipmann

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2012 12:23 PM in response to jheipmann

All

I now found the root cause, it was not even related to Lion (only by co-incidence it occured at the same day). Root cause what that I set up a VLAN on my D-Link Router in order to be able to seperate certain network traffic. What I did not recognize was that a filter on Multicast packets was set at that event, whch prevented the mDNS traffic to come through. After allowing untagged multicast on the VLAN 1 now everything is back to normal.

BR

jheipmann

mDNS (Bonjour) Error?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.