Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod nano 6th gen (brand new) doesn't recognize when headphones are plugged in

I have a brand new iPod nano (6th gen), and it doesn't detect when headphones are plugged in. I have read that the problem can ocurr because the headphones are not correctly inserted (which is not the case.. i'm absolutely sure about this) or that the headphone jack has dust inside (which is also not the case, since it is brand new).

This is what happens:

When i play a song, and then press the sleep/wake button to turn off the display, the music stops. Or if i let the music play, it stops when the screen times out and turns off. These two things occur because the ipod "thinks" that there are no headphones inserted.

When i try to activate the FM radio, the radio won't start because it says that there is no radio signal (which occurs when no headphones are connected).

Needless to say, the microphone and volume controls of the iphone headset, don´t work at all (they even work on the ipod shuffle!).. and because of this, no voice recording for me!

It's a shame, because the FM radio is completely useless, and music playing only works by activating the "double click to play" option in the settings menu.. but it is somewhat cumbersome the process of "play music - turn off the screen - double click to resume playing" every time I select a song.

The headphone detection has only worked randomly when the ipod is connected to the computer, but i haven't been able to figure out under what conditions this occurs. I have read about this issue, and I only would like to know if this is a firmware bug of the 1.2 version. I tried unsuccesfully to downgrade the firmware to the 1.1 version (maybe because the ipod shipped with the 1.2 version).

I have also restored the device in itunes, with no luck.....

Thanks in advance for any useful answer!

iPod nano

Posted on May 24, 2012 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2012 1:45 AM

Firstly, is the headphone you mentioned is Apple original earphones?

If yes, you can try to plug and unplug ( in fast orders ) repeatly, try to get the small tip in the 3.5mm audio jack connected to your earphones. The best way is to send in to the Apple stores to get warranty claim 🙂

8 replies

May 28, 2012 8:43 PM in response to Kenny0203

Thanks for your answer...

The headphones that i'm using, are the ones that were included with the iphone 4 (so, they are original).. however this shouldn't be a problem, as the ipod should work fine with whatever headphones i choose to use (sound quality will vary, of course).

The ipod does the same with the headphones that were included in the box, and with every pair of headphones i have used to test, so i'm certain that the ipod has an issue.

I hope that the picture is clear enough.. here you can see that the headphones are fully inserted, and the ipod is not recognizing them.

User uploaded file

Jul 31, 2012 9:50 AM in response to cutter9

Fixed it:

So simple!

In my case the headphones were working for music but the radio ap said they were not plugged in.

I had them pushed in as far as I could.

Then;

I took a toothpick and fished around the base of the ear-phone jack and pulled out the smallest bit of paper/lint. plugged in the earbuds and the radio showed up as it should recieving signals.

Not everyone's fix, but worked in this case.

iPod nano 6th gen (brand new) doesn't recognize when headphones are plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.