Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to easily delete unused media, as you can in Imovie?

Well, it's all in the subject there. That's the question.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 24, 2012 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2012 4:46 AM

that's what I would do :

Go in your Project Lib

Right clic on the project

Ask for "Duplicate project"

Then you're asked if you want to (1) just duplicate the project, (2) duplicate with referenced events, or (3) duplicate with just the clips that have been used.

Chose the (3) option

Rename as a new project (with a new name)

Delete the previous one with non used clips.

And you end up with a new project with just the clips you used

Switchie

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2012 4:46 AM in response to Cartoonguy

that's what I would do :

Go in your Project Lib

Right clic on the project

Ask for "Duplicate project"

Then you're asked if you want to (1) just duplicate the project, (2) duplicate with referenced events, or (3) duplicate with just the clips that have been used.

Chose the (3) option

Rename as a new project (with a new name)

Delete the previous one with non used clips.

And you end up with a new project with just the clips you used

Switchie

May 25, 2012 11:19 AM in response to switchie2

Switchie2,

I'm confused, how does duplicating the Project file affect unused media (Events)?

One of the problems with FCP X (in my opinion) is it separates the media from the project. I have an Event created for a specific project and there are a ton of clips in there that are not being used in the project, and those clips are taking up space on the hard drive. How do you easily tell FCP X to identify the media (events) that are not being used in a project?

Thanks!

May 25, 2012 11:30 AM in response to Scot Walker

I know it's boring not to have an easy way to identify and erase the "non-used" clips.

But you didn't follow my suggestion :-)

You ask : "how does duplicating the Project file affect unused media (Events)?"

I gave you an answer : you create a NEW project with ONLY THE REFERENCED MEDIA.

(And then, of course, you distroy the previous one. That easy. Why looking for somehting else that doesn't exist yet).

:-)

Sw

May 6, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Cartoonguy

Umm I am going to need help on this too.

I tried to Create a Duplicate Project. but no options appear, it just creates a new project this is 10.1.4

I too have masses of unused original media, that is not used and I am now getting disk space warnings from within FCPX

The Used/ unused filter does not work as I'd imagine it would.. in that if yo select the filter to show Unused, and then try and delete those clips, you then get a warning telling you it can't delete those clips as they are in Use,,,even though the app lists them as unused.

I am going through a whole raft of similar spots to see if there is a way to remove unused media easily , but so far I can't find it.

Is it possible to easily delete unused media, as you can in Imovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.