2 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2012 5:23 AM by rshammaa
rshammaa Level 1 Level 1

Hi guys,

I am curious to know what the software actually does to an image to:

a) get larger, or smaller on a monitor, b) to print larger, c) be sent larger or smaller as an email attachment.

And what happens to the file size, PPI and DPI?

Thanks,

Raphael

iMac 21.5", Mac OS X (10.7.2), Pages for iPhone/iPad
Reply by Kirby Krieger on May 25, 2012 4:48 AM Helpful

Hi Raphael.  Excellent question.  A bit beyond the range of our little discussion group, but still apropos.

Tony Gay recently posted a link to a -- imho -- very helpful group of lessons. 

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18449869#18449869

The first one really helps clarify just what a "pixel" is.  The second one begins to explain the relationship between pixels and bytes.  Did you happen to see it -- and if so, have you clicked through and read the lesson on pixels?  I ask because understanding what a pixel is, and what the relationship is between pixels and bytes, is central to any discussion of the size of digital images.

(Sent from my magic glass.)

Reply by rshammaa on May 25, 2012 5:23 AM Helpful

Thank you Kirby. No, I haven't but thank you for directing me to it; I will definitely read it.

There is a whole range of decisions a photographer has to make that are dependent on a few key technical answers. One wrong turn and the investment in time and equipment is wasted.

So this is VERY helpful.

All replies

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6

Hi Raphael.  Excellent question.  A bit beyond the range of our little discussion group, but still apropos.

Tony Gay recently posted a link to a -- imho -- very helpful group of lessons. 

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18449869#18449869

The first one really helps clarify just what a "pixel" is.  The second one begins to explain the relationship between pixels and bytes.  Did you happen to see it -- and if so, have you clicked through and read the lesson on pixels?  I ask because understanding what a pixel is, and what the relationship is between pixels and bytes, is central to any discussion of the size of digital images.

(Sent from my magic glass.)

• rshammaa Level 1 Level 1

Thank you Kirby. No, I haven't but thank you for directing me to it; I will definitely read it.

There is a whole range of decisions a photographer has to make that are dependent on a few key technical answers. One wrong turn and the investment in time and equipment is wasted.

So this is VERY helpful.