Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

By which process do images get smaller, or larger?

Hi guys,

I am curious to know what the software actually does to an image to:

a) get larger, or smaller on a monitor, b) to print larger, c) be sent larger or smaller as an email attachment.

And what happens to the file size, PPI and DPI?

Thanks,

Raphael

iMac 21.5"-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Pages for iPhone/iPad

Posted on May 25, 2012 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2012 4:48 AM

Hi Raphael. Excellent question. A bit beyond the range of our little discussion group, but still apropos.

Tony Gay recently posted a link to a -- imho -- very helpful group of lessons.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3870937?answerId=18449869022#18449869022

The first one really helps clarify just what a "pixel" is. The second one begins to explain the relationship between pixels and bytes. Did you happen to see it -- and if so, have you clicked through and read the lesson on pixels? I ask because understanding what a pixel is, and what the relationship is between pixels and bytes, is central to any discussion of the size of digital images.

(Sent from my magic glass.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2012 4:48 AM in response to rshammaa

Hi Raphael. Excellent question. A bit beyond the range of our little discussion group, but still apropos.

Tony Gay recently posted a link to a -- imho -- very helpful group of lessons.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3870937?answerId=18449869022#18449869022

The first one really helps clarify just what a "pixel" is. The second one begins to explain the relationship between pixels and bytes. Did you happen to see it -- and if so, have you clicked through and read the lesson on pixels? I ask because understanding what a pixel is, and what the relationship is between pixels and bytes, is central to any discussion of the size of digital images.

(Sent from my magic glass.)

By which process do images get smaller, or larger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.