Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java?

I cant not download Java. But my mac says i have it, but i does work. What to do?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 25, 2012 6:41 AM

10 replies

May 25, 2012 7:37 AM in response to Frikke12

Have you installed the latest security update?

It disables Java by default after updating it to the latest version. This is as a security measure.

Very few sites use Java, but I understand a few banking sites do, and of course there are a few Java games out there.

If you need it, go to Applications > Utilities > Java Prefences > General and ensure the check boxes are selected for Java 6.

Then go to your browser and enable Java there. In Safari the selection is here;

User uploaded file

I would recommend turning it off when not required.

May 25, 2012 9:54 AM in response to WZZZ

My understanding was that the 10.6.8 version turns off Java in Safari. I don't think it disables it in Java prefs (but as well to check anyway).

Just reading the specs again, I could easily be wrong, as it gives guidance on how to turn it of in Safari, which suggests it doesn't do it automatically.

The 10.5.8 Flashback removal tool removes Flashback Malware. I can't see any indication of it disabling Java.

2012-003 for Leopard disables the Flash Player if it's out of date.

However, we've not yet solved the OP's problem, it would seem.

May 25, 2012 10:40 AM in response to noondaywitch

The update does not disable Java in Safari; at least it didn't do it on any of my systems. The update patches the security exploit that the Flashback malware used, and removes Flashback if present. Apple recommends turning of Safari manually if the user doesn't need it, just as an extra precaution. The security updates do disable obsolete versions of the Flash plugin.

It's difficult to offer suggestions for the OP when all we have to go on is "can't not download" and "does not work". Perhaps Frikke12 will post more details about the problem.

Regards.

Jun 3, 2012 7:47 PM in response to seventy one

im amused by why an apple engineer would say why do you think you need java....

let's see, you can't access your banking site without java, you can't use any citrix corporate resources

without java, and the list goes on and on and on.

instead of just disabling java, you guys need to update your version of java just like the rest of the world.

on the pc end of things, java is now up to version 6 update 32. You can't just disable things, you have to "update

them".

Java?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.