3 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2012 9:35 AM by NicFromOz
NicFromOz Level 1 Level 1

I got this message so I removed a whole bunch of files on this external USB drive

Screen Shot 2012-05-25 at 4.31.06 PM.PNG

Now that I have 27GB free I pressed continue, but this same dialog returns after about 1 second. Pressing on "Stop writing files" does the same. I'm a bit worried about force-quiting the app but I don't seem to have any choice. Is this a known bug?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo), Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Shouldn't use the TM drive for this. It wants to hold space for itself. I think you need to get another drive. 27G left is very full for video, especially for a large drive, which I assume this is if it's used for Time Machine.

• Luis Sequeira1 Level 6 Level 6

Like Tom said, 27GB is very little and FCP X should not be store events and projects in a drive that is also used for Time Machine backups.

You clearly need to get another external hard drive. Use the current one for Time Machine, put your FCP X stuff on the other. And, really, you'll need a third one for backing up your video.

• NicFromOz Level 1 Level 1

Yeah - I realise that a TM drive should'nt be shared with data. I just ordered a new drive to become my video drive. However, I also just tried to run a Repair Disk on this drive and it seems to be quite sick (Disk Utility can't repair the disk). So that may have been confusing FCPX.