10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 9:25 AM by Bob Timmons
katie_mac Level 1 (10 points)

Hi, My Time Capsule needs to backup 18.32 GB, but ther'e only 15.20 GB left on it, so it tells me that it couldn't complete the backup.   It used to delete old backups automatically when it ran out of space, but, for whatever reason, it isn't doing that anymore. 

Can anyone help, please? 

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • Bob Timmons Level 10 (98,284 points)

Unfortunately, the Time Capsule cannot delete enough information to be able to make room for the new backup.

It would take forever to try to manually delete backups...and might not be successful....so you really are faced with a decison on whether you want to:

1) Add a new Time Capsule and start with a new "master" backup and move forward from there. You can keep the old Time Capsule connected and go back to browse backups there if you need to do so.

2) Erase the Time Capsule and start over with a new "master" backup and move forward from there.

If you really don't need all the old backups from months ago, and you don't mind starting over again, this makes sense for a lot of users. I usually start over about every 6 months or so, but your needs may vary.

• katie_mac Level 1 (10 points)

My TC backs up current work, but completed work is moved every month or so to other EHDs, so it would make sense for me to erase the TC and start fresh. 

Thanks for such a quick response. 

Happy to help. Post back if you are not sure how to erase the TC disk and/or the options involved with this.

• Emelia P Level 1 (55 points)

Bummer.

yes can you please give me qick run down on the best way to erase the TC

Thanks

Emelia

The procedure will vary according to the version of AirPort Utility that you have on your computer.

If you are not sure which version that you have, open AirPort Utility, click on the AirPort Utility menu in the upper left corner of the computer screen and click About AirPort Utility fo rthe version that you have.

Post back with that info.

Thanks Bob

I am running version 6.1 of Air Port Utility with a Apple Time Capsule.

Thanks

Emelia

Thanks for the info. To completely erase the Time Capsule drive and start over....

Open AirPort Utility, click on the Time Capsule icon and then click Edit in the box that appears

Click the Disks tab at the top of the next window

Click Erase Disk

Select the Quick Erase option

Click Erase

This will only take a minute or two and then you can start a new backup

your awsome, thanks heaps doing it now.

A year of pain will hopefully be fixed now.

Thanks

Emelia

• keany1976 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Bob,

I found this solution as I was having the same issue.

I have erased the TC using Airport Utility, and in AU it is now showing as 2TB out of 2TB available.

However, when I open Time Machine preferences it states that the capacity available is still the same as before I erased. Have I missed something?

Thanks for your advice!

You need to run a backup to the Time Capsule so that it will update on available space.