Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto faces disappeared!

I have been slowly getting round to identifying the faces on iphoto and after a software update on the mac recently all my faces have dissapeared. The photos have remained, the events have remained and the places have remained, but the faces have all gone. Can anyone help?? I had logged close to 9000 faces which took a long time, so would like to know if they are recoverable. Note: I haven't backed anything up on time machine (Although I have got the photos backed up on an external hard drive and disks which were from when I had a PC) I was hoping that owning a mac would avoid nonsensicle issues like this!!!

Thanks,

Matt.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 25, 2012 9:35 AM

12 replies

May 25, 2012 10:00 AM in response to mattpshaw

Actually not backing up regularly is the ultimate in "nonsensicle" behavior Computers, software and humans all fail and when they do without a good, current backup you will lose things. If you continue to refuse to backup you will (as the current Carbonite ad says) lose everything

Since we know nothing except you updated from an unspecified version of iPhoto to an unspecified version of iPhoto and you have chosen not to back up (even though it is especially critical to backup prior to any update or upgrade) it is not possible to help much. If we knew exactly what you did and what happened maybe there is a solution. But please use this as an important lesson and start backing up immediately

LN

Jun 4, 2012 7:43 PM in response to mattpshaw

Same thing happened to me. If you hold command and option as you open iPhoto it will bring up a menu allowing you to restore. I did that and got some of my faces back. Not all of them unfortunately. The cork board does have all the people that once were tagged but some of them are blank. I'm now updating the thumbnails using the same method and hopefully it'll help with some blanks.

Jun 5, 2012 6:36 AM in response to mattpshaw

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. No luck unfortunately. in the mean time i'll just continue to backup my photos onto DVDs as before to avoid any catastrophes. Unfortunately this method doesn't seem to easily allow a back up of the faces. (It would be great if someone knows of a way of backing up faces if I backup photos to DVD).

Next step will be to save money for a NAS drive and then use time machine on that to have an all consuming backup.

Cheers,

Matt.

Aug 7, 2012 8:24 AM in response to mattpshaw

Backing up to DVD using the Share -> Burn command will preserve Faces.

Before you buy a NAS make sure Time Machine will work with it. You don't need either a NAS or Time Machine to back up an iPhoto Library. Any external disk will do.

Most Simple Back Up

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex:

Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically. Examples of such apps: Chronosync or DejaVu . But are many others. Search on MacUpdate

Aug 7, 2012 8:31 AM in response to techgineer

OK, I ran through the command-option Repair Permissions and Repair Database. Still all of my Faces are gone.

I'm running 10.7.4. This occurred after the upgrade to iPhoto 9.3.2. I suspect it is an upgrade bug.

This is not good, to put it mildly.

I can restore from backup but it will take time to search for a backup prior to the 9.3.2 install, and I will lose some photos. I just haven't gone to Faces for awhile after installing 9.3.2 so restoring is not the most elegant solution.

Does anyone have any useful advice to provide an alternative, besides restoring from backups? Has anyone restored from a backup and solved this problem? I see no posts here since June.

iPhoto faces disappeared!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.