Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 won't start up.

Whan I attempt to start my G5 running 10.5, I get the message: "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button." This occurs about halfway thru the startup process. I tried to start up with a system 10.4 system install disc, but it quits about halfway thru startup.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 25, 2012 10:51 AM

13 replies

May 25, 2012 11:55 AM in response to jim18

Hi Jim,

Have you blown the dust out of it lately?

Does anything show if you hold the Option/alt key at bootup?

Does it boot to Single User Mode, CMD+s keys at bootup, if so try...

/sbin/fsck -fy

Repeat until it shows no errors fixed.

(Space between fsck AND -fy important).

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

May 25, 2012 2:03 PM in response to BDAqua

Holding down option key at startup works ok.

Yesterday I could start up with my system 10.4 install disk. Today it loads for a short while, then I get a blue screen with the pointer in the upper left corner with 4 vertical lines behind it and then it stops there.

The fsck thing returned a message that said the drive was OK.

thanks for your help.

May 26, 2012 8:27 PM in response to jim18

Hi.

What kind of G5 is it? A PowerMac G5 or an iMac G5? Both of these machimes haven't just got the best reliability records of the last decade Macs… The water-cooled PowerMac G5 uses to suffer from coolant leaks, and some of them (as the Quad G5 series) have power supply issues, and the iMac G5 had a well known electrolytic capacitor issue, both on the "midplane assembly board" (logic board) and the PSU.

All of these problems are now increased by the effect of time, electrolytic capacitors are electrochemical devices, and their performance decrease over time, even if you do not use them, as a matter of fact, specially if you do not use them, as the electrolytic capacitors have a "suggested" shelf life.

G5 won't start up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.