Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iMac 6,1 Intel Core 2 Duo keeps restarting

My iMac has recently began to restart. No reason that I know of. It doesn't matter whether I'm on it or not. I haven't added anything other than the latest updateof 10.6.8 Ive used disk Utility, and nothing is wrong. It gives me a clean bill of health. I've noticed a lot of discussion regarding this problem, but I have yet to see a solution. I've been reading from the forums, and aside from taking it into a certified Mac dealer no one has the solution, or did I miss it?

I've considered back in time with the back up recovery tool, but wanted to ask just one more time before going with any drastic measures. Thanks in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), updated to 10.6.8

Posted on May 25, 2012 10:46 AM

2 replies

May 25, 2012 2:29 PM in response to SEOcopy

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Step 1

Select "system.log" from the file list. Enter "BOOT_TIME" (without the quotes) in the search box. Note the timestamps of those log messages, which refer to the times when the system was booted. Now clear the search box and scroll back in the log to the last boot time when you had the problem. Post the messages logged during the time something abnormal was happening. That time might be before or after the boot.

For example, if the problem is a slow startup taking three minutes, post the messages timestamped within three minutes after the boot time, not before. If the problem is a system crash or freeze, post the messages from before the boot time, when the system was about to crash or was failing to shut down. In either case, please include the BOOT_TIME message at the beginning or the end of the log extract.

Post the log text, please, not a screenshot. If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

If the log doesn't go back far enough in time, scroll down in the Console file list to /private/var/log/system.log.0.bz2. Search that archived log, and if necessary the older ones below it, for the same information.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Edit it out by search-and-replace in a text editor before posting.

Step 2

Do the same with kernel.log.

Step 3

Still in Console, look under System Diagnostic Reports for crash or panic logs, and post the most recent one, if any. In the interest of privacy, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if present (it may not be.) Pleasedon’t post shutdownStall or hang logs — they're very long and not helpful.

my iMac 6,1 Intel Core 2 Duo keeps restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.