Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OVERHEATING MACBOOK PRO

Hello, recently my mac book pro started to overhead: getting very hot, but only on the left side. I have the latest updates and I also have downloaded istat pro (though I don't know how to read it). Can somebody help me?

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 25, 2012 11:09 AM

9 replies

May 25, 2012 12:12 PM in response to Leffie88

The temperatures that you see recorded are very normal and the fan speed is at it's lowest (2000 rpm apx.).

If you use CPU intensive applications the temperatures will rise as well as the fan speed. Watching video, games, Skype and such will cause these conditions. You may witness temperature approaching 100 degrees. There are safety features built in so that the MBP will shut down before it over heats and does any damage. The aluminum body act like a heat sink that dissipates the internal heat. That is the way it has been designed.

I did not mean for you to post a display of your dock, but 'Activity Monitor' which is in the 'Utilities Folder' of 'Applications'. Since the data in the iStat pro reads normal, you need not post it.

However do look at it just to get acquainted with it. It displays CPU usage, all the applications that are open, RAM usage and HDD usage. When temperatures rise in your MBP, you can usually determine the reasons why by looking at Activity Monitor.

Ciao.

May 25, 2012 2:10 PM in response to Leffie88

I like SMCfancontrol. I have a default speed of 2500 which keeps my 2012 mbp 15.4" below 40C and if i use skype, iphoto, photoshop etc i have a 4000 minimum setting that keeps it comfortable. If I create a dvd with Premiere elements it will run at 6000 and 97C (over 200F) so expect some heat to be given off. CPU heatsink is on left side usually.

OVERHEATING MACBOOK PRO

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.