Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it okay to delete certain System files if you have a backup copy available?

I was cleaning up some unwanted data on my mac. I left it for a few minutes to take a short nap. 5 minutes later I woke up to realise my young cousin has tampered with my Macbook Pro.

He deleted several important applications like Firefox. He even went into my Library Folder in my Systems, went into my Updates and deleted some of the folders, one which has the four zzzz in the beginning, and another two with just numbers. I'm not quite sure, but I also think he deleted my Preference folder.

And he cleared the Trash.

Things is, however, he didn't really know what he was doing, and he actually duplicated all of those files. I had a bunch of system/user files and apps with the word "copy" in them. I renamed them all back to normal and it seems like my macbook is running fine.

However, I just wanna validate and make sure, is it okay for me to replace those deleted files and folders with a copy? I'm a computer noob, I know that documents and all can be copied or deleted depending on what you want to do with it. However, I'm not sure about Updates and Preferences. Is it okay that those files are not the original files but exact copies? Does it even matter?

Thanks in advance. =).

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 25, 2012 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2012 2:34 PM

It's hard to answer without specific knowledge of what was done. However if EVERY System file has been replaced with an exact copy and renamed back to what it was, I expect all will be fine.

If I were in your shoes, I'd restore the last Time Machine backup from before the tampering. Even if all seems fine now, maybe you'll find that, say Software Updates don't work correctly in the future because of something he deleted. It's hard to tell, your description of what happened is vague.

If you don't have such a backup, then I guess you don't have a choice. I think the real test will be when you shut down and then restart your computer. I suggest making a good backup of all files (or all your key files) before doing that in case you have to reinstall the operating system and then restore your files to a the new system.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2012 2:34 PM in response to poppotaku

It's hard to answer without specific knowledge of what was done. However if EVERY System file has been replaced with an exact copy and renamed back to what it was, I expect all will be fine.

If I were in your shoes, I'd restore the last Time Machine backup from before the tampering. Even if all seems fine now, maybe you'll find that, say Software Updates don't work correctly in the future because of something he deleted. It's hard to tell, your description of what happened is vague.

If you don't have such a backup, then I guess you don't have a choice. I think the real test will be when you shut down and then restart your computer. I suggest making a good backup of all files (or all your key files) before doing that in case you have to reinstall the operating system and then restore your files to a the new system.

May 25, 2012 3:36 PM in response to poppotaku

If you lost some files in Preferences it isn't too serious. Whatever is missing would be recreated (with default preferences) by those processes that require them.

Updates, if it is the same one I am looking at with a ProductMetadata.plist and a folder named zzzzddd-dddd (d's are digits), is related to software update. The plist is updated each time you run software update. So try doing a Software Update and see if there's a problem. If not you're probably ok.

May 26, 2012 1:50 AM in response to poppotaku

Kids, aye? You gotta love 'em... 😁

The answer to your first question is NO. Your system is currently working and the last thing you want to do is start messing about trying to delete and copy system files. What you do is, first:

1. Restart your computer in 'Safe' mode. This will sort out any critical system issues. To do so, see the article here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

2. After Safe mode has finished, logout and log back in normally.

3. Run Software Update

4. If you encounter any errors in the previous three steps, make an exact note of the error message and when it occurred, then post back here. We will help you sort the errors out. Likewise, if everything appears OK, but you encounter some problem later on in use, make a detailed note of the msg and the circumstances and post back.

Once you've done all that, the second thing you should do is set your machine to require a password after some minutes of inactivity. To do that, go to

 > System Preferences > Security > General

and check 'Require Password 'IMMEDIATELY' screen saver begins. Then choose 'Show All' in the task bar of that window, and choose 'Desktop & Screensaver' and set it to something like 5 minutes (all this assume you have and know your own logon password, of course!)

The third thing you do is buy a cheap, USB external disk and start using Time Machine so that you have a backup.

Good luck!

Is it okay to delete certain System files if you have a backup copy available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.