Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I hook up GarageBand and a Yamaha Motif XS6?

I plan to get a Mac mini tomorrow. I'd like to use GarageBand with my Yamaha Motif XS6. I clicked "GarageBand Documentation" on this page, but I got a 404 error. Does anyone know how I'd set up the Motif with GB? I've Googled a bit, but didn't find any solid info.

The Motif has a USB port on the back -- the squarish connector like you'd plug into a printer. It's marked USB To Host. There's another, different USB connector next to it that says USB To Device.

I don't want to play Motif sounds; I want to play the GB instruments with the Motif keyboard.

Can the Motif control the GB instruments? Is there some optional cable/connector I'll need to buy to do this? Thanks for any info.

Mac mini, GarageBand

Posted on May 25, 2012 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2012 11:23 AM

I do not own this instrument but a quick look online shows that on page 16 of the Motif owners manual you would plug the USB "D" connector into the USB TO HOST port. Then of course the other end will plug into the USB port on your Mini. Next you will want to go to Apple's AUDIO MIDI SETUP (Keyboard Icon) located inside your Utilities Folder. There you can set up the instrument, choose midi transmit channels etc to act as a Controller only to use with Garageband. Be sure to read Apple's documentation on Audio Midi Setup.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2012 11:23 AM in response to DogBros

I do not own this instrument but a quick look online shows that on page 16 of the Motif owners manual you would plug the USB "D" connector into the USB TO HOST port. Then of course the other end will plug into the USB port on your Mini. Next you will want to go to Apple's AUDIO MIDI SETUP (Keyboard Icon) located inside your Utilities Folder. There you can set up the instrument, choose midi transmit channels etc to act as a Controller only to use with Garageband. Be sure to read Apple's documentation on Audio Midi Setup.

May 26, 2012 8:51 PM in response to mdee

Thanks, mdee. I also found this at the Motifator site:

Connect via USB

Connect the Motif XS to your computer via USB.

Set the Motif XS to MIDI IN/OUT = USB
• Press [UTILITY]
• Press [F5] CONTROL
• Press [SF2] MIDI
• Set MIDI IN/OUT = USB
• Press [STORE] to write this to your Flash ROM

I think this re-routes the midi out to the USB port. I'll give it all a try here in a couple of days and report back. First, I've got to get the new Mac mini squared away and figure out what's where and why.

Thanks for your help.

May 29, 2012 1:38 PM in response to DogBros

OK, I got everything working. I might as well post it here, in case somebody else is looking for the info.

This is my setup ...

• Mac mini running 10.7.3 OS
  • GarageBand '11
  • Yamaha Motif XS6

... and the following steps worked for me. They may not work for you, but ...

Set up USB MIDI on the Motif XS:

• Press [UTILITY]
• Press [F5] CONTROL
• Press [SF2] MIDI
• Set MIDI IN/OUT = USB

• Set LOCAL CONTROL = OFF (if you're bothered by echo notes)

• Press [STORE] to write these changes to your Flash ROM

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Download and install a Yamaha USB midi driver on your Mac. I used this one: http://www.motifator.com/storage/softwareupdates/um121mx.zip

Start GarageBand on your Mac.

Connect a standard USB printer cable between the Motif and the Mac. Plug the D-shaped end of the cable into the "USB: To Host" connector on the back of the Motif. Plug the other end of the cable into a USB port on your Mac. GarageBand should recognize your Motif and tell you so in a pop-up message. After that, you should be able to play your GarageBand instruments with your Motif keyboard.

When you want to use your Motif in normal mode again, go back to the Utility screen and set Local Control back on. I don't think the Motif sends your midi data to the local tone generator when it's set to off. But I'm not sure about that.

Mar 17, 2013 4:23 AM in response to DogBros

Hi! I know I'm late... But please, help me! I bought Yamaha motif xf8 and I would like to use it with Garageband!

I connected Yamaha to iMac with USB cable, I downloaded drivers, I changed set up... but my problem is that Garageband don't allow me to set sounds on Yamaha. So I'm obliged to use Garageband's sounds. Where get I wrong?! Please help me!

Mar 17, 2013 4:54 AM in response to Corpeli

You should be able to use your Keyboard as a Midi Controller however I do not believe Garageband will trigger External Midi devices. To play your keyboard live sounds into Garageband you will need to plug the Audio outputs into the Audio Inputs of an Audio Interface and then setup a Basic Audio track inside Garageband. To use External Midi Devices you will need to purchase Logic Pro 9.

Mar 17, 2013 5:33 AM in response to Corpeli

You could go; MIDI Out (5 Pin Din Connector) of the Keyboard to MIDI In on the Audio Interface and then USB out of Audio Interface to your Mac. You would then need to make the connections inside the Audio MIDI settings App (Keyboard icon) found inside the Utilities Folder. To my knowledge Garageband does not support MIDI Out for triggering External MIDI Devices.

How do I hook up GarageBand and a Yamaha Motif XS6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.