Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Numbers (iWork) with decimals

Can anyone tell me how to make actual decimal places appear in a Numbers chart? Using the increase/decrease decimal places buttons in the tool bar only adds zeroes, not the actual values. FOr example, doing that turns 89 into 89.00 instead of the actual average, which was 88.65 but the program rounded up to 89.

Numbers-OTHER

Posted on May 25, 2012 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2012 7:35 PM

you can adjust how many decimal places are displayed by using the increase/decrease decimal places button in the menu bar (as you have noted):

User uploaded file

or you can use the cells inspector:

User uploaded file

entered 89.65 in cell A1 and have set the number of decimal places to 2

User uploaded file

entered 89.65 in cell B1 and have set the number of decimal places to 0

how did you get the value "88.65" into the cell? did you type it in? is it a result of a formula? is so what is the formula?

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2012 7:35 PM in response to ultrasteph

you can adjust how many decimal places are displayed by using the increase/decrease decimal places button in the menu bar (as you have noted):

User uploaded file

or you can use the cells inspector:

User uploaded file

entered 89.65 in cell A1 and have set the number of decimal places to 2

User uploaded file

entered 89.65 in cell B1 and have set the number of decimal places to 0

how did you get the value "88.65" into the cell? did you type it in? is it a result of a formula? is so what is the formula?

May 25, 2012 8:58 PM in response to ultrasteph

Actually, I have already tried this (putting it at 2) and it still just gives me zeroes. I am calculating grades, so it's giving me a percentage out of 100 after calculating each assignment by its percentage weight. I am using the Gradebook template that comes with Numbers, but it doesn't seem to be set to give answers any more finely tuned than rounded to the nearest whole number.

May 25, 2012 9:15 PM in response to Wayne Contello

You know, I know nothing about formulas (obviously) but I did intuit that it might be that ROUND making it happen--but when I tried that myself earlier (and just now again, after your advice), it didn't work. It leaves me with nothing in the cell but a red triangle that I presume means I have an error in the formula. I've wrestled with trying all these exact fixes at the end of every semester and just end up using a calculator instead, but I KNOW it must be possible in a program like this! I really appreciate your help, by the way.

May 26, 2012 3:13 AM in response to ultrasteph

Hi steph,

Syntax for ROUND is: =ROUND(number,decimal places)

number and decimal places are the two arguments used by ROUND. In the unction, the arguments are separated by a comma.

The original formula in G5 was this: =ROUND(SUMPRODUCT(B5:F5,$B$3:$F$3),2)

Comparing that with the syntax, you'll see these two arguments for ROUND, separated by a comma:

number: SUMPRODUCT(B5:F5,$B$3:$F$3)

decimal places: 2

When you edited this formula, you removed only the function name ROUND, leaving a set of parentheses containing two numbers—SUMPRODUCT(B5:F5,$B$3:$F$3) and 2—separated by a comma and enclosed by parentheses, but with NO instruction telling what to do with this pair of numbers. Numbers doesn't know what you want done with the numbers, do it sends an error message.

Your edit was intended to remove the ROUND function, leaving the unrounded result of SUMPRODUCT. To do that, you need to remove everything except the actual calculation of the number. Your edited formula should look like this in G5:

=SUMPRODUCT(B5:F5,$B$3:$F$3)

Note that column G in the template is formatted to show the result as a percentage, with no places after the decimal. If you want to show results to the nearer hundredth of a percent, you will need to edit the format, using the Inspector, to show two decimal places.

Perhaps a more significant question than "How" to show these results to the nearer hundredth of a percent is "Why" do you want to do this? Is 1/100 of one percent a meaningful amount?

What measurements of the students' work are you taking that you are confident you can distinguish 10000 degrees of achievement?

Here's a visualization to think about:

Consider 20 packages (reams) of paper for your school's photocopier, unwrapped and piled in a single, neat stack. For standard 20 pound bond copy paper, the stack, containing 10000 sheets, will be about a yard high. If the whole stack is considered as "100%", the each sheet of paper is 0.01% of the stack.

Richard Rock's final grade (on the template) is 82.45%, expressed to the nearest hundredth of a percent. How confident are you in the precision of that grade? For the stack of paper, the task to achieve that precision would be to insert a marker (eg. a letter opened or dinner knife) so that exactly 8245 sheets of paper were below the marker, and to do if by estimating or measuring (not counting) the position at which to insert the marker.

Is it possible? Certainly, given a precise enough and accurate enough instrument, and an operator skilled in using that instrument.

Is it repeatable? Probably. Sheets of paper tend to have a pretty consistent thickness, provided you don't change suppliers, finish, or weights, If an accurate measurement can be made to that precision today, then there's a good chance an equally accurate and precise measurement can be made using the stack of new paper available three months from now.

But does this accuracy and precision transfer to the task of measuring student achievement? And if it doesn't, does expressing grades to the nearest hundredth of one percent show a meaningful distinction?

Regards,

Barry

May 26, 2012 9:56 AM in response to Barry

Wayne and Barry, THANK YOU for your time in responding to my question! Yes, I see how the formula works now! As for why, it's true that such a small percentage seems meaningless--but if the spreadsheet shows me an 89 average, I want to know if it's rounding down from 89.4 (in which case, I might be able to tinker with a grade enough to get the student up to an A) or up from 88.6 (which is a little too far away to do so). It's true that the NEXT decimal place over is too small to matter. But such a small amount does matter to the students trying to transfer, so I try to work it in their favor if I can see they're really close.

Thanks again!

Stephanie

May 26, 2012 10:55 AM in response to ultrasteph

Hi steph,

Aha! User uploaded file The light came on in the shower this morning!

Like other formats, the Percentage format is a way of displaying a number. In this case the number is usually a fraction.

When Sam Student is assigned a grade of 75%, it means that (s)he 75 hundredths of the possible score for a 'perfect' assignment.

75 hundredths may be expressed as a common fraction: 75/100

or in 'standard notation' as a decimal fraction: 0.75

or as a percent: 75%

All three represent the same value.

In Numbers, it's the 'standard notation' (the decimal fraction 0.75) that is used by the ROUND function.

Note that 75%, expressed in 'standard notation,already has (only) 2 places after the decimal.

ROUND(0.75,2) has no effect on that number.

You want to express values as percentages, precise to two decimal places. Example: 66.67%

In standard notation, the same value would be 0.6667

So, since ROUND is written to work with values in standard notation, you need to use 4, not 2 as the last argument.

Revise the formula in column G as shown below:

Original: =ROUND(SUMPRODUCT(B4:F4,$B$3:$F$3),2)

Revised: =ROUND(SUMPRODUCT(B4:F4,$B$3:$F$3),4)

Use the Inspector to change the cell format to Percentage, with two decimal places, then fill the formula down the rest of the column.

Comments and questions on why one would want to claim this precision is meaningful still apply.

Regards,

Barry

May 26, 2012 11:06 AM in response to Barry

Thanks for this--I made another spreadsheet based on your earlier suggestion (just taking out the rounding up part of the formula altogether) and that worked just as well (though changing the 2 to a 4 is even easier, I suppose!). As I mentioned in my last response, it's true that the hundreths level of precision is more than I actually need, but I really do use the tenths level to determine who's close enough to jimmy a little. Thanks very much!

Using Numbers (iWork) with decimals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.