Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook's charging socket melted

I have a Macbook 13" unibody, my charger suddenly heated up and melted my Macbook's charging socket. The macbook is still working when it melted but the charger is not working anymore. I want to buy a new charger but I'm afraid to charge my Macbook because it might explode or something, here are some pictures of the macbook.

pic.twitter.com/uvYn1zWc

Is it safe to charge it using a new charger or not? And is there any part of the macbook near the socket affected?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 26, 2012 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2012 8:13 AM

I would take the melted charger and MacBook to an Apple store. Ask, nicely, for a no charge replacement charger and ask them to ensure your MacBook wasn't affected. A charger that heats up and melts is a fire hazard, and hopefully the Apple store will take that into account and replace the charger at no charge. Understand they may not, but I would ask. You may also want to record the melted charger with the Consumer Products Safety Commission at https://www.saferproducts.gov/CPSRMSPublic/Incidents/ReportIncident.aspx

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2012 8:13 AM in response to arianneclaudine

I would take the melted charger and MacBook to an Apple store. Ask, nicely, for a no charge replacement charger and ask them to ensure your MacBook wasn't affected. A charger that heats up and melts is a fire hazard, and hopefully the Apple store will take that into account and replace the charger at no charge. Understand they may not, but I would ask. You may also want to record the melted charger with the Consumer Products Safety Commission at https://www.saferproducts.gov/CPSRMSPublic/Incidents/ReportIncident.aspx

Macbook's charging socket melted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.