Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I currently have my iTunes library on an external hard drive

I currently have my iTunes library on an external hard drive. I purchased a new computer, installed iTunes and changed the location for my library in the advanced settings, but the new computer is not recognizing the library. The new computer has be authorized.

Posted on May 26, 2012 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2012 7:52 AM

Michellefp wrote:

I currently have my iTunes library on an external hard drive.

Do you have the iTunes media or the iTunes library on the external?

The iTunes library is the iTunes folder. In this folder is the iTunes library.itl file, iTunes library.xml file, Album Artwork folder, iTunes media folder, Previous iTunes libraries folder and maybe a few other files.

I purchased a new computer, installed iTunes and changed the location for my library in the advanced settings

That changes the location of the iTunes media, not the iTunes library.

To select a different library, hold Option, launch iTunes and select Choose library then select the iTunes folder.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2012 7:52 AM in response to Michellefp

Michellefp wrote:

I currently have my iTunes library on an external hard drive.

Do you have the iTunes media or the iTunes library on the external?

The iTunes library is the iTunes folder. In this folder is the iTunes library.itl file, iTunes library.xml file, Album Artwork folder, iTunes media folder, Previous iTunes libraries folder and maybe a few other files.

I purchased a new computer, installed iTunes and changed the location for my library in the advanced settings

That changes the location of the iTunes media, not the iTunes library.

To select a different library, hold Option, launch iTunes and select Choose library then select the iTunes folder.

I currently have my iTunes library on an external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.