Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using Pro features in my application

I'm creating an Windows application to effectively trim, cut and recompress hundreds of video clips in order to save space

(mostly aimed at DSLR HD video footage).

Until now I thought the end user needs to buy QuickTime Pro in order to have export features available to them -- and my application installed on his system.

I was testing today and I was wondering what kind of error pops up when my app tries to export on a system where only the FREE QuickTime is installed.

So I uninstalled my Pro, reinstalled without entering the licence, and to my surprise, the export still works!

I guess the QuickTime Pro we're paying for is just QuickTime Player Pro, while the "Pro" is in the free QuickTime framework itself. Which is a very pleasant surprise for me!

So my question is, is it OK to publish and distribute my application, tell users they need to download the free "QuickTime 7 Player" from Apple website in order to use it, and then allow them to export video using my application, while their QT Player has still Pro features disabled?

Isn't it against QuickTime's Terms of Use in some way? I've tried reading that but I couldn't find it, so if someone knows a clear answer, please tell me. I don't want to risk any trouble from misunderstanding the ToS. 🙂

Thanks!

Oli

QuickTime 7-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on May 26, 2012 7:21 AM

There are no replies.

using Pro features in my application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.