12 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2012 1:13 PM by wonderfromtroy
genemat Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Recently, there have been numerous postings of problems with severe slow-downs using Safari.  Why is Apple Support so quiet?

Safari, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Safari Problem
  • CT Level 6 Level 6 (17,365 points)

I think they are trying to answer but it takes a long time because of the severe Safari slow-downs.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (173,025 points)

Apple doesn't answer questions on this site, if that's what you expect. If you want support from Apple, see the options listed on the Apple Support site.

• ~Bee Level 7 Level 7 (31,200 points)

genemat --

Apple makes these boards available to us, for Mac users can share solutions.It's the opinion of many of us who help out regularly that a great majority of the time, the slow down has to do with old third party internet hacks.  It takes a while to find the culprits, because usually the original poster say he HAS no internet haxies, and we find out a week later that he did, but forgot about it.  My Safari has never been slow, since the first beta version. 

• genemat Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Funny, but not useful.

I was hoping someone knew the state of Apple's search for a solution

I don't know any more than you do about what's going on inside Apple, and neither does anyone else here, but I'd be willing to bet that Apple isn't searching for a solution at all. That's because I'm personally running Safari under Mac OS 10.7.4 on more than one Mac, and I don't have the problem you have. The problem is caused by something specific to your setup. I suggest you start a new topic with a descriptive title to address the problem directly.

Actuallly, regarding my particular Safari problem:

1. My Safari is up to date 5.1.7 and runs under OSX 10.7.4

2. It is pristine - no added extenstions or plug-ins.

3. I have preferred to use Firefox over Safari, but Firefox now has some problems too.

4. Safari seems to have some severe slow downs when compared to Firefox.

5. One only has to look at the influx of questions to see there is something wrong.

6. I don't have any support for MicroSoft OS on my computer (no back door)

• ~Bee Level 7 Level 7 (31,200 points)

Since it happens now in both safari and Firefox, do these   .

Shut down your Mac and unplug mac, modem and router for three minutes.

Reconnect, and restart every thing.

If not improved, set up a new user account on your Mac. How does everything work there?

• Bikkies Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Linc Davis wrote:

Apple doesn't answer questions on this site, if that's what you expect. If you want support from Apple, see the options listed on the Apple Support site.

I find it VERY strange that Apple doesn't have a techie responding on the site that they promote.

Pretty pointless having a forum where none of your questions can be answered by their own developers/support staff. After all, if they answered a prob with the correct fix, this would then mean that others could find the same fix.

As to options on Apple Support site, I am still waiting for a response to what should be a very simple answer.

Sent via Apple support page on 15th April 2012 after much mucking about to find the correct page for submitting the prob, but still no response from Apple a month & half later!

"Finally found a way with much running around on your website to contact via an online form. Sure don't make it easy!
    Was looking into getting an iPad but have been told they won't display any website that uses flash.
    Is this correct? If so, when are they going to?, as hundreds of websites I visit have flash somewhere on their site."

• Bikkies Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I also have my own questions re Safari.

I am using a PC with Windows XP & have tried the Windows version of Safari.

My questions are:

1. How do you sort the bookmarks? With any other browser it is usually as simple as a right click, then select "Sort Alphabetically"
    2. How does one perform a page setup to remove/reduce margins to a minimum + remove headers/footers & then have your choice remembered for future sessions? Once again, very simple in the majority of other browsers.

I find it VERY strange that Apple doesn't have a techie responding on the site that they promote.

The Terms of Use that you agreed to when you registered on this site specify that Apple doesn't offer support here.

Pretty pointless having a forum where none of your questions can be answered by their own developers/support staff.

The point is that users can exchange technical information with each other.

Sent via Apple support page on 15th April 2012 after much mucking about to find the correct page for submitting the prob, but still no response from Apple a month & half later!

Apple doesn't offer support via web form or email, except for the App Store, so you must have used one of the Feedback pages. It's clearly stated on those pages that you won't get a response to your feedback.

Was looking into getting an iPad but have been told they won't display any website that uses flash.

Is this correct?

Yes, as a simple Web search would have told you.

If so, when are they going to?

Never, I hope.

Thoughts on Flash

Adobe has discontinued support for Flash Player on any new mobile platform.

Flash to Focus on PC Browsing and Mobile Apps

• wonderfromtroy Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

This one should be pretty apparent, but given the fragmentation of the mobile market, and the fact that one of the leading mobile platforms (Apple's iOS) was not going to allow the Flash Player in the browser, the Flash Player was not on track to reach anywhere near the ubiquity of the Flash Player on desktops... Just to be very clear on this. No matter what we did, the Flash Player was not going to be available on Apple's iOS anytime in the foreseeable future.

- Mike Chambers, a lead product manager for Flash