Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad screen cracked on its own. Others have this happen? Covered under standard warranty?

I have an ipad 3 that is two months from the date of purchase tomorrow. I have it in a sturdy front/back case. Today, in my air conditioned house, I was reading news on the ipad when before my eyes the screen cracked.

I have bought apple care + but it irritates me that I must pay $49 (and use one of my 2 covered incidents) when I don't feel I did anything wrong.

I spoke with Applecare and they told me that it's not covered. I asked if they never have any design or mfg errors? It's always user error? They said it's not covered but I could bring it to an apple store and if they agree that it was a mfg flaw (and how do I convince them of that?) then it MAY be covered.

Very disappointed Apple customer. I realize some people would lie so it's hard to separate what's covered and what's not. At the same time, thank goodness I bought Applecare. Otherwise, I've owned this product for just shy of 2 months and watched the glass crack before my eyes while reading the news and their response is pretty much "tough luck."

Anyone else had this? Gotten it covered under the standard warranty rather than applecare?

Thanks.

Posted on May 26, 2012 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2012 12:18 PM

this is a far fetched response by me but here it goes. The new iPad gets VERY hot due to its huge battery, maybe the screen went into shock with the AC and the Heat from the battery. 😮

63 replies

May 26, 2012 12:29 PM in response to Ramblinmanva

I am sitting on my deck out in my backyard even as I type this response. It is currently 90.6 degrees according to the thermometer on the deck. I have been using the iPad in and out of the house most of the day. The air is on in my house keeping the temperature a comfortable 74 degrees. My screen hasn cracked and I don't it's likely to happen .... Unless I drop it.

But anything is possible and I'm not saying that your screen didn't crack for no reason, I am saying that it would be a tough excuse to swallow from an outsiders perspective.

Use the AppleCare+ - that's why you bought it.

May 26, 2012 12:34 PM in response to Demo

I carry my ipad with me everywhere I go and on various trips. Inside, outside, ballparks, airports. I have a sturdy case. Same as I did with my first ipad uneventfully since the day it came out.

The screen obviously cracked "for a reason" but I find it unacceptable that with less than 2 months of ownership the reason is viewed to be I must have done something to it. To act as if Apple never has a mfg or design flaw is odd.

I've read that one has better luck in the actual store rather than over the phone. That has been true with a couple of other issues I've had.

I bought Applecare to respond to issues when I was well outside of the standard warranty. Having to pay $50 to cover something less than 2 months after I bought it, and feeling "lucky" that I get to pay $50 for the privilege, is not what I consider a good customer experience.

May 26, 2012 12:38 PM in response to Ramblinmanva

here is what i would do, bring it to an Apple store and show them that the ipad has no dents from dropping and that the screen doesn't have an impact point. you may have a good case against the fee if you can prove that you didn't drop anything on the screen. is the crack neat and not centered around a impact point? I bet they will take it back if you take it in in person. they are very good with these things. I almost never call anymore. always bring it in.

May 26, 2012 12:43 PM in response to Ramblinmanva

I am not saying that your are not telling the truth. I am saying that I would find it hard to believe that the screen cracked on its own. Lucky for you, it's not my call to make. It's nobody's call to make but Apple's.

All you will get here is opinions and grief and nobody here can answer your question to your satisfaction anyway. Take it an Apple Store, explain what happened, be polite and hope for the best.

May 26, 2012 1:59 PM in response to Menneisyys

oooo I would watch out doing that. There is a lot of moisture in saunas and can trigger the moisture strip in the ipad which will void all warranties you have. its a white strip of paper that turns red when it gets excessive moisture on it, and if you bring it in for something and they open it and see the strip red they will not help you. Not to mention having that much moisture around any electronic is not good. but just giving you a heads up.

May 27, 2012 7:58 AM in response to Soto

I had two friends tell me that they actually dropped their ipads, screen cracked, went to our local store and had it replaced on a one-time basis (they hadn't bought Applecare). I went to my store last night, they told me that they thought the heat may have caused it, and that this is what applecare is for and made me pay $49.

I let them know I wasn't happy with that outcome, seems I was being penalized for having applecare in the sense that two friends, same store, got their's replaced at no charge and didn't bother to buy applecare...and they dropped their ipads.

Made no difference.

Not real happy with this experience.

My iPad screen cracked on its own. Others have this happen? Covered under standard warranty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.