Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XBOX 360 S connection drops to and stays at 5 Mb/s

My XBOX 360 S connects at 72 Mb/s then drops to 5 Mb/s within one minute and stays there as long as it's connected. What can I do without changing to G?

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen), Other OS, XBOX 360 S

Posted on May 27, 2012 12:48 AM

6 replies

May 27, 2012 2:35 AM in response to skuno23

Move the xbox closer to the TC

Move the TC closer to the Xbox

Fix and lock the channels.. try 1, 6, 11 for 2.4ghz which is the only relevant band assuming you are using a genuine xbox wireless.

Use a repeater in between.. by the nature of the TC that has to be another apple router.. but the airport express is often used in this role. You will never get any more than 130mbps because that is what apple limit 2.4ghz to.

May 27, 2012 7:00 AM in response to skuno23

I have noticed that my HP OfficeJet 8500A Plus from Apple uses 802.11n 2.4 GHz also. It also only connects at 5 Mb/s (sometime 7 Mb/s (the XBOX 360 S does sometimes too)). However my Kindle Fire is the only other device with b/g/n at 2.4 GHz and it connects at 58 an higher... I'm still at a loss, I'm not sure if some kind of power saver is kicking in here like is mentioned in an older firmware fix for AirPort and Time Capsule before my time of ownership of suce devices. Like in other posts I've seen b/g setting on the router connects at a consistent 54 Mb/s. Going to have to try moving the Time Capsule and trying the printer with b/g. If anyone feels they can help I would appreciate it.

Jul 12, 2012 2:19 PM in response to skuno23

The replacement TC will have the same wireless chip.. latest TC is broadcom.. I think they have serious issues with atheros chips used in a lot of other devices.. even some macs.

Let me suggest taking the manual approach.

Setup wireless again.. if using lion download and use 5.6 airport utility.

Give wireless names that are short .. no spaces. pure alphanumeric.. that is important for the PC world SMB.

The 5ghz name should be different from the 2.4ghz name.

Set the wireless to fixed channels, 1, 6, 11.. try each in turn.

if that doesn't work.. change the wireless mode from auto to a/n - b/g (you can apparently hold down the option key and have other settings here).. by reducing the 2.4ghz speed to G wireless it will sometimes work better than at N lite.. which is all apple allow anyway.

Do the above testing with security off.. just while you do it.

Put back security wpa2 personal with 8-12 character pure alphanumeric passkey when finished.

If you don't get anywhere.. use an N or G wireless router as an AP plugged into the TC.. Just a very cheap one will work.. set up in wan bypass.. ie plug lan TC to lan router.. turn off dhcp in the router and fix its ip to match the TC .. eg if TC is at default, 10.0.1.1 then make the secondary wireless 10.0.1.254

Set a different name and lock the channel for the AP so the SMB devices can reach it rather than the TC.

XBOX 360 S connection drops to and stays at 5 Mb/s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.