Skip navigation

Switching from iMessage to SMS

546 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 4:55 AM by impious-rocker RSS
JPDeM Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 27, 2012 2:08 AM

Both my girlfriend and I have an iPhone. However she does not have a data package. She has activated iMessage as she is often in a wi-fi zone. However when she is out and I try to send her a text message, I get iMessage and the blue bubble even though she is not in a wifi area. In these cases the message can be delayed quite a bit. I have no idea of knowing if she is in wifi or not so important or timely messages won't get to her and I know nothing about it.

Is there a solution other than disabling iMessage?

• wjosten Level 10 Level 10 (91,280 points)
    May 27, 2012 2:53 AM (in response to JPDeM)

JPDeM wrote:

Is there a solution other than disabling iMessage?

Nope.

• impious-rocker Level 4 Level 4 (1,195 points)
    May 27, 2012 3:11 AM (in response to JPDeM)

Usually when you send an iMessage and other person is in 3G or wifi reception, it says "delivered" (In real time messaging). On the other hand, it will not say "delivered" if the other person is not in 3G or wifi reception (offline message). So, in a way you know when she is/is not in 3G/wifi reception and you can send her an ordinary text message instead. (or turn ON "SEND AS MESSAGE" feature).

May 27, 2012 4:11 AM (in response to JPDeM)

You need not to keep staring at the screen after sending an iMessage, because if she is in the 3G/Wifi reception, it displays "delivered" instantly.

And if by "receipt feature" you are referring to "read receipts" then it is totally a separate feature.

May 27, 2012 4:55 AM (in response to JPDeM)

You are welcome.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.