Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 total malfunction after iOS 5.1.1 update

I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 5.1.1 on Friday, it worked normally for about 24 hours, and now all of a sudden it is completely unusable. If I press the home button absolutely nothing happens. But if I plug it into the charger and then press the home button, the white apple appears, and it boots to the grey screen that you get with a brand new phone. When I then swipe the slider I am asked for a passcode, so I enter the one I used when the phone was working normally. I then get the screen that says to connect to iTunes. Problem is that I'm traveling and so for the moment cannot connect to my iMac at home. (I have a PowerPC G4 laptop with me that can't go beyond OS 10.4 and iTunes 9.1.1.) Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there anything I can do now or do I have to wait until I return home? Or is the phone totally toast or what? I've read some stuff about SIM cards being corrupted with this update. Would a new one restore the whole phone?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 27, 2012 2:04 AM

1 reply

Aug 23, 2012 10:44 AM in response to aeriecr

Exact same thing happened to my Iphone 4 on August 4th (366th day of 1 Year Warranty). When connecting to ITunes, Restore fails and a message pops up in Itunes stating that "There is a problem with your IPhone" and directs you to Customer Support. I took the phone to Apple Store, the Geeks there experienced the same problem and were unable to resolve. They suggested that the phone needed to be replaced at cost of $159.99 eventhough it started to malfunction 1 day after warranty expired. Endless amount of pleading/arguing failed to sway them into giving me a free replacement. Phne still not working. Would changing the SIM help?

iPhone 4 total malfunction after iOS 5.1.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.