Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 8 running OS X 10.5.8 refuses to load Snow Leopard.

My iMac 8 running OS X 10.5.8 refuses to load snow leopard. The 45 min session keeps getting cut short and the disk ejects. I've turned off sleep functions and made more room on the drive to no avail. Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 27, 2012 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2012 10:45 AM

Don't mean to be pickie but you say your iMac is running on 10.5.8 ... but your profile says 10.6.3. If you have 10.6.3 you already have Snow Leopard and from there you can upgrade to 10.6.8.

7 replies

May 27, 2012 3:04 PM in response to seventy one

My fingers are frequently dyslexic. Fortunately i usually proof read before posting!

Not sure about these install failures, though - some never get sorted.

Sometimes just cleaning the disc does the trick, other times it turns out to be a hardware fault aborting the process.

On at least one occasion, the installation was in fact nearly complete and a restart completed the installation. From the time element I'm hoping this one comes under the latter category.

<off topic> As well as I'll ever be, ta. Warm weather's not helping my breathing though. </off topic>

May 28, 2012 5:29 AM in response to noondaywitch

Thanks for your helpful hints everyone. I have 12.9 GB available space. When I begin the install process the status bar says it'll take 58 minutes so I walk away. When I return, I never see an error or status message because the disk has automatically ejected and the computer is displaying the log-in screen.

I will try to verify the disk using the utilities you mention. I'll also try a reboot to see what happens.

Yes, I am using an official Snow Leopard 10.6.3 white install disk purchased from Apple, but I'm beginning to suspect it is bad.

Thanks again everyone!

iMac 8 running OS X 10.5.8 refuses to load Snow Leopard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.