Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with older mac: G3, OS 8.1

OK, I maintain a G3 in order to have a driver for my Personal Laser Writer, old but good.

It is hard-wired to our home network, AP Extreme, to which my G4 MDD and MacBook(and Dell) are connected

I use the G3 to print files which I download or create on the G4 and then transfer via Apple Talk to the G3.

Today I had problems with the network, none of the computers could see each other, finally resolved by rebooting cable modem and then the AP Extreme.

While this was going on I attempted to access the desktop of the MacBook from the G3 via Apple Share to IP address 10.0.1.5 as usual. It hung up and eventually I had to power down. Then it wouldn't restart. I started with a Norton Utilities CD, did disk repair, nothing major, still wouldn't start. Finally started with extensions off, then Extensions Manager, turned off Apple Share and the G3 starts. But now when I turn Apple Share back on I can't connect to anything: to my G4 it says "no response from server";to my Macbook it says 'incompatible version of Apple Talk"

Without the ability to connect to other machines I can't transfer files and can't print and the G3 loses its purpose. Any thoughts?

Power PC G3-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on May 27, 2012 10:54 AM

1 reply

Jun 12, 2012 10:56 AM in response to gasmac

😮Norton Utilities😮

It has well been known since Mac OS 8.1's release Norton Disk Doctor is Norton Disk Kevorkian. Get it off your system. It actually ruins more directories than it fixes.

Finding a Mac OS 8.1 data recovery tool is very difficult these days. I hope an old version of Alsoft Disk Warrior is available to you to at least fix Norton's problems.

Problem with older mac: G3, OS 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.