Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover deleted files from trash in ipad

My kid deleted a very important vedio in new iPad. However, I can only see the trash while viewing a photo or a vedio. When I touched trach it popped a window said: Delete Photo. I can never open the trash to see what's in it. I can't find trash in home botton screen, either. Thanks!

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 27, 2012 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2012 1:48 PM

There is no undelete option or trashcan or recover content from on the iPad - once it's deleted it's gone. Was it on the iPad when you last backed up ? If so then you can try restoring the iPad to that backup and see if that restores it, but you will need to restore the whole iPad, you can't just restore a video or a single app.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2012 1:48 PM in response to Yi-ming

There is no undelete option or trashcan or recover content from on the iPad - once it's deleted it's gone. Was it on the iPad when you last backed up ? If so then you can try restoring the iPad to that backup and see if that restores it, but you will need to restore the whole iPad, you can't just restore a video or a single app.

Jul 3, 2014 6:38 AM in response to Yi-ming

If you have a backup with Time Machine, that may be help. However, if there is no backup with your computer, you can try ipad data recovery software to find back all your lost files in trash bin. One more important thing, if you want to recover them back, you need to make sure that the data hasn't been overwritten. If it has, there is no opportunity to get back your lost files.

Jul 3, 2014 6:51 AM in response to Lisaaain

Lisaaain wrote:

If you have a backup with Time Machine, that may be help. However, if there is no backup with your computer, you can try ipad data recovery software to find back all your lost files in trash bin. One more important thing, if you want to recover them back, you need to make sure that the data hasn't been overwritten. If it has, there is no opportunity to get back your lost files.

Sounds like you're thinking that an iPad has a "trash can" like a Mac does. As mentioned by King_Penguin above, this is not the case. Once deleted, files (such as photos and videos) are not moved to a user-accessible "trash can" or a temporary holding area until you decide to empty it.

Emails do however use a "trash can" environment but this has to do with how emails are handled by your email provider.

Recover deleted files from trash in ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.