Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview locks files, not only when open, but also after being closed

I hand-create PostScript files, which are tested by being dragged to Adobe Distiller. This application is unhappy if the same-name PDF is busy. And if not busy, the same-name PDF is happily over-written. So far, so good.

Until recently, whilst Preview had a PDF open, it could not be overwritten—somehow marked as busy, I guess. If closed, if could.

But within the last two weeks this behaviour has changed. Preview 5.5.2 (719.25), under Lion, keeps them ‘busy’ even after the file is closed or Preview is quit. It fails to un-mark as ‘busy’. So I have to drag the PDF to the trash before Adobe Distiller will ‘overwrite’.

Please, is there any once-off action I can take to fix this new bug?

iMac

Posted on May 27, 2012 2:57 PM

8 replies

May 30, 2012 2:13 PM in response to macjack

Quick and easy, but no joy:

Error

Can't delete existing file: /Users/JDAW/Documents/programming/PostScript/Port_PS/20120614_niepoort_1912.pdf

The file is open by another application.

I had moved all the “com.apple.Preview*” files, these being:

• com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist

• com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist.lockfile

• com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist.lockfile

• com.apple.Preview.plist.lockfile

• com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist

• com.apple.Preview.plist

May 30, 2012 4:15 PM in response to jdaw1

Create a new User go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > "+" (make it an admin acct) and test the apps in this new account, if they work the problem is isolated to your User and not systemwide.

If the issue is limited to your user account try starting up in Safe Mode (It will take more time to startup because it runs a directory check.)

If your apps functions correctly that way, go to System Preferences >> Accounts >> Login Items and remove them. Boot normally and test.

If the issue is systemwide, then you may be able to repair by booting cmd-r to your recovery Volume and re-installing Lion. This will be an "install in place" and shouldn't effect your data and settings.

Preview locks files, not only when open, but also after being closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.