Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there hand gestures to operate with windows?

The hand gestures on the Macbook Air tracpad is awesome. As I am getting familar with the hand gestures on the trackpad, I was wondering if there are ways to control windows. Below are some of the things I like to know if there are hand gestures for it:

1. Minimize current window
  2. Maximize current window
  3. Close current window
  4. In Safari, close current tab
  5. In Safari, move from one tab to the next

These are what I can think of it right now. It would be so nice if there hand gestures on the trackpad.

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 27, 2012 2:45 PM

14 replies

May 27, 2012 5:01 PM in response to LCMan

There are no trackpad gestures for those. You can use keyboard hotkeys for:

Minimize current window - Command-M

Close current window - Command-Q, unless it's a tabed page (like Safari, or Terminal), in which case: use Shift-Commad-Q

In Safari, close current tab - Command Q

Also, there is a free touchpad tool in the App Store called BetterTouchTool that allows you to create your own gestures for commands that may be able to set up to do some of these things.

May 28, 2012 12:00 AM in response to softwater

softwater wrote:

There are no trackpad gestures for those. You can use keyboard hotkeys for:

Minimize current window - Command-M

Close current window - Command-Q, unless it's a tabed page (like Safari, or Terminal), in which case: use Shift-Commad-Q

In Safari, close current tab - Command Q

Also, there is a free touchpad tool in the App Store called BetterTouchTool that allows you to create your own gestures for commands that may be able to set up to do some of these things.

Thanks! That's what I thought because I could not find anywhere else regarding gestures working with windows and Safari. I'll try to use the keyboard short-cut keys then.

Jun 21, 2012 12:04 PM in response to a brody

a brody wrote:

It may be you are in an application that has its own shortcuts for that command. Compare the Mouse/Trackpad settings in the System Preferences with the help file for the application in question.

I don't quite understand what you're saying about comparing "with the help file for the application." I'm using Safari browser and double tap with three fingers on a word but did not show the lookup anymore. It used to work.

Are there hand gestures to operate with windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.