Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I reset my router's DNS settings?

I've got a network with a Time Capsule providing an ethernet connection for my desktop, as well as a wireless connection for my wireless devices. From my desktop, I run a website, hosted with a major remote web space provider. What's happened recently is that when I try to upload anything from Dreamweaver to my host, I get a nondescript (no error code) "FTP error." When I try to access my site from any of my browsers on any of the clients on the network, be they ethernet or wireless, I get a "could not connect to server" message. I tried down or just me, as well as a proxy, and they both worked; I narrowed down the problem to a DNS issue on my Time Capsule.
The URL in question is www.theapplenewsreel.com, and the corresponding IP is 216.250.121.1.
I tried running NSLOOKUP from Terminal, and I just got this:

Last login: Sun May 27 11:23:33 on ttys000
my-imac:~ username$ NSLOOKUP www.theapplenewsreel.com
Server:     127.0.0.1
Address:    127.0.0.1#53

Name:   www.theapplenewsreel.com
Address: 192.168.1.111

Basically, the connection, for some reason, stays inside my local network. The rest of the Internet is accessible via all my devices without modifying any settings.
Problem is, I've got no idea how to fix the problem at this point. Can someone help?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on May 27, 2012 5:38 PM

5 replies

Nov 15, 2013 2:49 PM in response to beckysay

The DNS server(s) IP addresses are typically provided to you by your ISP. If you connect a router to the ISP-provided modem, you can change the DNS servers to be used in the router settings and this includes the AirPort routers.

If you have a situation where you have two routers in series, the downstream router would normally be placed in bridge mode. This would disable both its NAT & DHCP services. Since DHCP is used to distribute the DNS server addresses to network clients, the router upstream of the second router. I believe this is what HACKINT0SH is referring two.

How can I reset my router's DNS settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.