Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How come HDMI won't work on my Poloroid flat panel TV?

are there certain TV's that wont work with HDMI to MacBook pro's?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 27, 2012 9:11 PM

6 replies

May 27, 2012 10:18 PM in response to gbowers

Not that I heard of. You don't specify what MBP model you have. I'll assume below you have a mini-displayport or thunderbolt (same as mini-displayport for this application) connection. If not you need a appropriate adapter to convert your (dvi?) video out to hdmi.

Set the TV to the input you connected the HDMI cable to.

On your computer, if you open the Displays preferences and do not see an Arrangement tab (or there is an Arrangement tab that shows only a single monitor) then there is something physically wrong with your connection. Try clicking Detect Displays just to see if the computer can now sense the presence of the connection. Check your cables and make sure the mini-displayport plug is pushed firmly in so that essentially all the metal part disappears inside the socket. Mini-displayport plugs can be a little tricky in that you need to make sure the plug is fully seated in their socket.

If you do have an Arrangement tab, and it shows two screens, then click Gather Windows to bring the TV's Displays preferences on to your main screen if the TV is not yet showing an image. Set the proper resolution (probably 720p, 1080i, or 1080p). Set the refresh rate (probably 60Hz) if that preference is shown. You should see a picture at this point. I recommend turning off mirrored displays if it is enabled (more about this below).

You may have to play with the underscan/overscan settings on your TV and the displays prefs for the TV if the picture is too small or larger for the TV screen.

Also, you need to set your Sound preferences to output to the HDMI connection. If the MBP doesn't support audio through the mini-displayport then you will need to connect your stereo audio out to your TV (3.5 mm stereo jack for the compter to usually RCA jacks on the TV).

And when running Lion, do not run in Lion full screen mode.

May 28, 2012 8:15 AM in response to gbowers

ok, I have the newer MBP which has the thunderbolt port. I bought the HDMI adapter for the thunderbolt port so as to port it to my HDMI TV. I tried it on my other HDMI TV, Vizio, and it works perfectly with no changes or problems. I plug it in, I switch my tv to the proper hdmi channel/slot and voila, its there! I had to change the widescreen display on the TV itself but other than that, it was great!

But, On my other HDMI TV, Polaroid, it didnt work. I tried changing the display on my MBP to different settings, 800x600, 1024x762. etc.....but, still nothing. I tried some other options in the "arrangement tab" and still got nothing on the TV but a blue screen with "not supported" scrolling acrossed it. So, finally gave up and decided to use the Vizio since it worked fine. Not sure if the Polaroid TV and Mac are compatible or not? Oh, I also am runniing OSX Lion ver. 10.7.4. My MBP is only a year old. So, Not sure what's going on. I also clicked on Detect Displays and didnt really see anything come up that helped me any. I also know how to get my sound to work thru the HDMI connections. Thats not a problem.

May 28, 2012 6:42 PM in response to gbowers

Then your computer is detecting the TV.

After doing the Detect Displays and Gather Windows I would think you could set the proper resolution for that TV. I would expect 720p, 1080i, or 1080p but maybe there's a 1920 x 1080 or 1280x720. Is there a refresh rate? Probably need 60Hz.

There are versions of HDMI (see Wiki). I suppose there is the possibility that your TV is an older version not supported by your computer (or adapter?). I'm not sure about downward compatibility of HDMI like, for example, usb3 being downward compatible with usb2.

Also the TV is expected to send the proper EDID information to your computer. It is this information Displays preferences need to show you the acceptible resolutions and refresh rates.

Finally there's good 'ol HDCP (copy protection). I'm not sure how that might come into play here but if the entertainment industry can find a way to screw up our own private equipment that we paid for and own and want to use the way we desire they will.😢

How come HDMI won't work on my Poloroid flat panel TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.