Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook display constantly cuts out

So I know my little baby's just growing up - for the love of all that is good, my computer would be entering kindergarten if it were a human - but it's been a rough year, and I can't afford to replace her just yet.

Here's the deal: the display's started cutting off unexpectedly. It started a few months ago with random restarts, which I thought were caused by a bad hard drive, but it turns out permissions errors, stacked up over the years, really can bork your computer. I replaced the hard drive (didn't mind opening her up, since she's well out of warranty), but the problem kept occuring - only with the screen going dark randomly. I thought the new hard drive was dying, too.

But here's how it's been going down lately. About twice a day, the screen will go black. Not just the backlight; it's as though the display has been turned off. I can't wake it from the display sleep, but it's not for lack of hitting the space bar repeatedly. Keyboard backlight stays on for a second, and then goes dark, at which point, I'll force a shutdown and try to restart.

All of which is messing with my data; I've been doing a permissions repair pretty much daily now, and there's loads of 'em to repair.

I noticed today, when it happened earlier, that my hard drive is still spinning, and USB peripherals retain their power.

So what is causing my display to cut out like this, and how do I keep it from happening again (at least this frequently) until I can afford a new MacBook?

Please tell me it's not the logic board. Please tell me it's not the logic board. Please tell me it's not the logic board. Please tell me it's not the logic board. Please tell me it's not the logic board. Please tell me it's not the logic board. Please tell me it's not the logic board. Please tell me it's not the logic board.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2006 MBP

Posted on May 27, 2012 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2012 8:53 PM

Hi S,

It's likely the X1600 GPU (which is . . . wait for it . . . soldered onto the logic board and cannot be replaced without replacing that which shall not be named). Search here or google for Mac x1600 GPU and you'll see all the issues with it.

6 replies

May 27, 2012 9:07 PM in response to tjk

I knew - once i'd already pulled the trigger on this lil guy - that a lot of these MacBooks had similar problems.

Boo. Hiss.

What's worse, as far as I'm concerned, is that all of the similar models on eBay that I could buy for parts have the same problem. it seems there had been some clamoring for a recall, which never happened, but I'm retroactively in that camp.

May 28, 2012 6:12 PM in response to SpaceBase

SpaceBase wrote:

Another question: if it's the graphics chip, why would the unexpected restarts only happen when I'm booted from my internal drive? if I boot from an external, it's as reliable as ever.

That's a good point and I don't have an answer for you except to say that, as you know, logic boards are very complicated things, and anything attached to them has the potential to cause very strange problems.

One other thought is the HD cable; they are rather delicate and get damaged when swapping out a HD, and sometimes without doing anything.

MacBook display constantly cuts out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.