Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About this Mac says I am using 57Gb of hard drive space in Other. How can I clear up that space?

User uploaded file

As you can see above in the Storage pane of my MacBook's About This Mac it says I am using 57.44Gb's of space for Other. Can anyone tell me why it is using so much space there? And if there is an easy way to free that space? I'm new to Mac so I don't really understand how to do all of this. This is one thing I really don't like so far, when you uninstall a program it leaves behind a bunch of files. Any help would be much appreciated, as I will end up needing that space. Please, I would love to know how to quickly and easily free up as much space as possible. Thanks!

~sn0wman117

Oh and btw, my Mac is a Mid-2010 MacBook 7,1 2.4Ghz with 8Gb of RAM. Let me know if any more info is needed. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Mid2010 7,1 2.4Ghz, 8Gb RAM 250GbHD

Posted on May 27, 2012 10:55 PM

3 replies

May 28, 2012 7:02 PM in response to sn0wman117

sn0wman117 wrote:

. . .

Can anyone tell me why it is using so much space there?

That may or may not be excessive. See Lion's Storage Display.

This is one thing I really don't like so far, when you uninstall a program it leaves behind a bunch of files.

If the app came with an installer, see if it has an uninstaller (oddly, it may be an option in the installer). Some do, some don't, but most of the ones that do will uninstall the other files, too.

There are some 3rd-party apps that try to remove such files, such as AppZapper.

I would love to know how to quickly and easily free up as much space as possible.

After reviewing the link above, if you still think there's unexplained space, there's a link to Where did my Disk Space go?

Feb 13, 2013 2:42 PM in response to Pondini

"Other" Problem

I have a new MacBook Air with a 256GB SSD. After loading the normal applications, I now have 132GB of "Other". I am seeing that other people have the same problem... but not 132GB! It seems a little extreme. I can barely load a new application... I am almost out of disk space.

Is AppZapper reliable? Are there any other suggestions on how to get rid of "Other"?

About this Mac says I am using 57Gb of hard drive space in Other. How can I clear up that space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.