Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup folder with question mark

What do I do?

iMac (24-inch), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 28, 2012 1:00 AM

6 replies

May 28, 2012 1:04 AM in response to Lalessio

Pray that your hard drive is okay..

Usually this means your computer can't see the hard drive which usually means you just lost your...HD

Try this:

Resetting PRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Good luck

It has worked for me in the past once with the same issue.

It also didn't work for me once

May 28, 2012 7:57 AM in response to X423424X

X423424, while your help is always appreciated, I would like you to refer to my post and read that it has fixed my problem and that was over a year ago, no problems since. In fact Apple would tell him to do the same thing as a first go. So don't tell him it won't work. it may or may not. I am living proof of may.

Startup folder with question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.