Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help! Getting low on HD space

I knew this day would come and now I'm getting worried and I'm not sure what to do 😐

First, a little about my set up.

I have a Mac Pro with 4 (four) 1TB HD's in each slot.

I made slot 1 (one) my main drive with only Mac OS X and software installs.

All other content (Music, Photos, FCP X Files, etc) all sit on slots 2, 3, & 4 as a Striped RAID set.

I did that for 2 reasons - Speed & the systems "thinks" I have one large 3TB drive.

Over time I now have only 500GB left on my Striped RAID set and I have several Wedding Movies to still import and edit.

I also do complete backups of my 64BG SDXC and store that on my Striped RAID set just incase I need to start from scratch again.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I think is happening.

The top left portion of FCP the "Event Library" section is actually what is on my Stripped RAID set.

The botton portion of FCP X called the "Project Library" is just "looking" at the Event Library - so in essance its NOT 2 sets of video being stored on my Stripped RAID Set - the only item actually stored is the Event Library??

I question my thoughts because I see 2 folders on my Stipped RAID set.

One is called "Final Cut Events" which is 1.87TB in size

One is called "Final Cut Projects" which is 115GB in size.

Having said that, If I was to remove, delete, or move ABC Wedding from my Event Library - that would break my Project Library thus removing the ability to view or even create another copy or re-edit that wedding in the future 😠

I want to be able to archive but leave all the items that created that video (music, photos, text, etc) in tact so that I can always view it, re-edit it, or even create another DVD from it in the furture if need be.

I have no idea how to do this.

Is archiving software driven within FCP X or is it a matter of dragging files from the 2 folders and putting them on a External HD?

I'm thinking about goinf to BestBuy today and oicking up a 2TB external HD.

I just don't know how to archive properly with out destroying the entire file structure.

Please help! Thank you for your time.

John

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Octo Core Mac Pro with 30" ACD

Posted on May 28, 2012 6:42 AM

5 replies

May 28, 2012 8:23 AM in response to jcaraballo

John,

I would suggest the following section from the help documentation as a primer:

Before you move or copy Events and Projects

Basically, considate you events/projects first. Then use the File > Move Project command to move them to your new hard drive within Final Cut Pro. This will keep all the Final Cut pointers and such intact. Safer than just manually moving moving them in Finder.

Once you done that, you might look at this article to learn how to 'hide' events and projects. This basically makes them offline, and undetectable by Final Cut Pro.

Best of Luck!

-ShinerMac

May 29, 2012 7:55 AM in response to ShinerMac

Thank you for your reply. Actually my heart trembled when I went through the references you had suggested. I have a great need to know how to safely archive events and projects so that I may access them at a later time period for translating my videos into other languages.

Thanks a lot. This information had helped me. I need to go through all this stuff till I know how it gets done.

BTW how do you go to the root level of an EHD? Is it possible to explain by means of a screen shot?

Please help! Getting low on HD space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.