Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to burn a second copy of a DVD.

I am trying to make another copy of a DVD I created in iDVD a few months back. But whenever I get to the encoding stage of the burn I get an ambiguous error message stating that there was an error during the media encoding process. All of the media is still connected, and has been used before.

iDVD '08, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 28, 2012 9:07 AM

7 replies

May 28, 2012 10:47 AM in response to WARowland

Do you have the frirst disk you burned? If so then use Disk Utility to make a disk image of it and burn the disk image with Disk Utility (at the slowest burn rate available for maximum quality).

Have you edited any of the media since burning the first disk? If so I suggest you careate a new project with the newly edited media.

If you don't have the disk available follow this workflow to get a disk image of the project:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

If you can successfully create a disk image of the iDVD project then the encoding was successfull and all you need to do is burn to disk. I suggest you follow that workflow for all iDVD projects.

OT

May 28, 2012 10:49 AM in response to WARowland

Hi

If You have a Good DVD then use Disk Util tool to make a copy of it.

This can not do copies from copy-protected commercial DVD - and that's illegal too.

I use Verbatim DVD-R disks and set down burn speed to x2 or x4 as this results in far more less burn errors and a so much better DVD (and it plays on even older DVD-Players)

Yours Bengt W

Oct 6, 2012 10:10 PM in response to Ileen Cuccaro

Your thought is perfectly sane and OK - BUT that's not the way things works.

a. There is no straight forward way back to an editable quality

b. iDVD can not edit video at all

c. the picture quality on a DVD is severely compressed - in a sort of View Quality - and this is about 5 to 10 times smaller and has lost lot's of information - not in any way possible to recreate to 100% - but only to a poor quality.

So I keep all my original material stored safely as it's the only way to get it if I need it again

To back convert a movie on a DVD You can try several ways - see note following

Photos in a SlideShow - I don't have the faintest and if possibly the quality will be Very Low

DVD back for future editing

User uploaded file

A. don't put a mini DVD into Your Mac unless it’s a tray-loaded DVD burner/reader

B. iMovie’08 prob. 09 is said to be able to import from DVD (homemade without copy-protection). I never had any success with it.

C. I prefer one of these two ways

• Copy to miniDV tape from set-top DVD-player --> Camera -or-

• Roxio Toast™ - Can back convert to streamingDV for iMovie or FinalCut

D. Read what Karsten collected.

DVD back to iMovie.

.. and here the complete 'full 9 yards' ... .

//discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3822853&#3822853

DVDs are in a so-called delivery format (mpeg2), which isn't meant and

made for any processing as editing... or, as honorable forum member

QuicktimeKirk stated. [i] I use the analogy of the old Polaroid

"instant" cameras. Push the button, wait for the print to develop and

show it off.[/i] ..

for using the iLife apps, you have to convert-'em first, in

recommended order, choose one of the following tools/workarounds.

• DVDxDV (free trial, 25$, Pro. 90$)

• Apple mpeg2 plugin (20$) + MPEG-Streamclip (free)

• Cinematize >60$

• Mpeg2Works >25$ + Apple plug-in

• Toast 6/7/8/9/10/11 allows converting to dv/insert dvd, hit apple-k

• connect a miniDV Camcorder with analogue input to a DVD-player and transfer disk to tape/use as converter

• Drop2DV (free) a free tool claiming to convert DVDs into dv-stream...

• Use iSquint for your conversions . www.iSquint.org

from. Bobby Keene

none of these apps override copy-protection mechanisms as on commercial DVD's...

//danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/tips_tricks/6010.shtml

//danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/tips_tricks/6018.shtml

be nice to copy rights ^-^

... and, next time, try the forum's search-feature... 😉

from Beverly M.

//docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42724

Yours Bengt W

Oct 7, 2012 8:58 AM in response to Ileen Cuccaro

I saved a dvd project as a disc image so I can edit it and burn more copies.

Disk images can only be used to burn additional copies and be played with DVD Player. To preserve an iDVD project for later editing you can archive the project which copies all of the media files used in the project into the project package rather than just linking to it.

User uploaded file

It takes up a bit more disk space this way but prevernts accidental deleting of the source material from the hard drive and thus preserving its editability.

I am trying to burn a second copy of a DVD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.