Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending Duplicate emails using Mail and mBox for mac

I have been sending duplicate emails inadvertantly recently. It seems it's when I use mBox for mac (registered copy) in Mail to use my Hotmail with IMAP.

I hadn't noticed it at first, but now I see everytime I send a mail I get 2 copies in my sent box. I can turn off the store sent messages on server option to fix it (but that's the whole point of having IMAP!!), or I can turn off mBox for mac and it also seems to work (but then I can't use IMAP!). I've also tried on the same machine from gmail, and iCloud accounts (MobileMe), and I had no issue at all. I've also tried 2 different Hotmail accounts, and both of them send double messages every time I send.

I've searched for a loooooong time, and can't find anyone with a similar issue - but surely I'm not the only one? I think anyone still using a hotmail account will eventually install something like mBox for mac if they've gone Mac recently - as I have.

I checked the mail headers of the 2 mails, and they are quite different (masked where appropriate) -

Mail 1 -

Subject: Test 19th

Date: May 29, 2012 12:06:19 AM GMT+08:00

To: yyyyy <yyyyy@me.com>

Content-Type: text/plain

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

X-Smtp-Server: smtp.live.com:xxxxx@hotmail.com

X-Universally-Unique-Identifier: fb14cd4f-e68c-43fa-8d0b-950df8394fde

Message-Id: <5C2C1573-B540-4876-B87F-290FAE5FF681@hotmail.com>

Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v1278)

Mail 2 -

Subject: Test 19th

Date: May 29, 2012 12:06:19 AM GMT+08:00

To: yyyyy <yyyyy@me.com>

X-Originating-Ip: [zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz]

X-Originating-Email: [xxxxx@hotmail.com]

Message-Id: <BLU0-SMTP71A30E7E8586025B915E228B040@phx.gbl>

Received: from [192.168.1.52] ([zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz]) by BLU0-SMTP71.phx.gbl over TLS secured channel with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675); Mon, 28 May 2012 09:06:21 -0700

Content-Type: text/plain

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v1278)

X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.1278)

X-Originalarrivaltime: 28 May 2012 16:06:21.0350 (UTC) FILETIME=[D2B26460:01CD3CEB]

I'm surprised I can't find anyone else with a similar issue. I've submitted a support ticket with mBox/fluent factory, but I'm still not convinced it's their issue, and possibly a Mail on Mac issue.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Using Mail with mBox for mac

Posted on May 28, 2012 9:27 AM

9 replies

Jun 10, 2012 3:35 AM in response to T.S

Hi there. I got a reply back from mBox/Fluent Factory staff. It seems to work well enough - would rather have the native send box working in Mail for Mac, but this works too, just put your "Sent Messages" at the top of your folders to get to it easily. Here's the response -

------------------------

Thank you for using mBox Mail.

Our team took a look at this issue and it happens when using Mac Mail Client with mBox for Mac and other email services (e.g. gmail). The duplicated messages only appear in the Mac Mail local folders and there are no duplicated messages in the mail server.

In order to avoid duplicated messages, some changes in settings are required:

1. Go to Menu: Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts

2. Select the account (probably identified by ".Live IMAP")

3. Select Tab "Mailbox Behavior"

3.1. In the option "Sent" uncheck the option "Store sent messages on the server...".

3.2. For the option "Delete sent messages when," select "Never" from the drop down list (choose other options if you want sent mails to be deleted)

4. Close "Accounts" window

5. On the Mac Mail Client, right click on ".Live" folder under Sent folders and choose "Synchronize '.Live"

What to expect:

1. The .Live folder under Sent will be cleaned and starting from this point, only one message will be stored when sending messages.

2. There will be another folder created in the left column of Mac Mail Client identified by ".Live." This folder will contain the "Sent Messages" folder. This folder will contain a copy of messages that you have in the server (Same as Hotmail from the web mail client).

Sep 5, 2012 4:40 AM in response to Kikmaidog

I have been experiencing the same problem since day one using mBox. I have contacted customer support and after a month someone replied by refering me to their support page. No help whatsoever, somewhat amaturers at customer service. I followed your steps and it did not resolve the issue for me. I understand what Mac Mail is doing, once you uncheck the option, there is a new "sent" folder that is created under the Hotmail IMAP Folders. Mac Mail thinks the sent message on the local folder and the sent message IMAP folder are two seperate emails and thus shows the email twice on the mail converstaion thread both under the heading Sent From Hotmail.

I have posted this duplicated email question on other forums, nobody seams to have an answer. Found this by dumb luck. If you can point me in the right direction, maybe the person you spoke with at mBox or if you know of another trick please let me know.

This is so frustrating. I guess what is more frustating is that Microsoft really does not care about upgrading or supporting their products. Window users with Outlook do not have these issues. MS has 94,000 plus employees and not one can figure out how to make Hotmail work properly with other systems.

Jan 15, 2013 7:52 PM in response to Kokola

Kokola,

IMAP accounts added to Mail will show a new "folder" on the sidebar [e.g. Hotmail IMAP]. In the folder you'll see Sent and other folders. Click Sent and go to the Mailbox menu -> Use this Mailbox For... and select Sent. Mail will now unite this and the other Sent folder in the top left (what you refer to as "local") into a single mailbox (folder).

You can do the same thing for the other mailboxes: Drafts, Junk, and Trash.

By the way, an alternative to mBox is to set up a Gmail IMAP account in Mail and then configure gmail to fetch all your Hotmail messages.

Nov 11, 2013 4:03 AM in response to Kikmaidog

mBox never addressed the issue and the duplicated emails reached new levels of annoyance but the good thing is that Hotmail and Outlook.com finally rolled out support for IMAP.

Incoming Mail Server: imap-mail.outlook.com

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/send-receive-from-app

No more duplication issues once you switch over, and no need for a third party (mBox)software to bridge the missing feature gap.

Dec 6, 2013 5:05 AM in response to Kokola

@ Kokola

Great staff!!! MBox Fluent Factory is very poor app.

I was having problem with duplicated sent emails and cleaning up my inbox, sent items and deleting emails. Try to contact them via email for over 3 months and never got a reply!

I just used the suggested configuration and my Entourage (email app for MAC) is working perfetcly. I can visualise all my online folders now!

Thank you so much!

mBox never addressed the issue and the duplicated emails reached new levels of annoyance but the good thing is that Hotmail and Outlook.com finally rolled out support for IMAP.

Incoming Mail Server: imap-mail.outlook.com

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/send-receive-from-app

No more duplication issues once you switch over, and no need for a third party (mBox)software to bridge the missing feature gap.

Apr 5, 2014 7:48 PM in response to Kika2013

@ Kokola,

Hi. did you have to chage any port settings or advanced settings when you used the mail servers that you listed?

Right now I am using mBox mail, and it is a pain because I have to click on each individual folder to see if there is any mail. I was also sending duplicate mails out.

If you have additional settings, would you please share? I'd love to hear what you have.

Thanks!

Sending Duplicate emails using Mail and mBox for mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.