Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express across street

Hello,

I want to know if I can use one airport express on my side of the street and one on the other and use them as a wireless bridge, like this:

My router -- ethernet cable -- Airport Express street Airport Express -- ethernet cable(!!) -- switch -- ethernet cables -- Mac, pc, ps3, ps3.

Will this work? Do I need the first Airport Express since my router has wireless? Is the range enough (+- 10 meters/32 feet)

Thanks in advance,

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Bootcamp-Windows 7 (for gaming :p)

Posted on May 28, 2012 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2012 10:53 AM

My router -- ethernet cable -- Airport Express street Airport Express -- ethernet cable(!!) -- switch -- ethernet cables -- Mac, pc, ps3, ps3.

Yes, that configuration would work.

Do I need the first Airport Express since my router has wireless? Is the range enough (+- 10 meters/32 feet)

If you use an 802.11n AirPort Express Base Station (AXn), then the first Express would not be needed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2012 10:53 AM in response to rickfromenschede

Yes, that configuration would work.

Do I need the first Airport Express since my router has wireless? Is the range enough (+- 10 meters/32 feet)

If you use an 802.11n AirPort Express Base Station (AXn), then the first Express would not be needed.

May 28, 2012 11:07 AM in response to rickfromenschede

When using an 802.11n AirPort Express Base Station as a wireless Ethernet bridge (the configuration you were describing), the Express will only provide wired connectivity. It doesn't really matter which Radio Mode (802.11/b/g/n, etc.) that it joins wirelessly.

Apple calls this configuration a ProxySTA. Please note that the Express, configured this way, will NOT extend the wireless network that it is joining, BUT its Ethernet port will be enabled to connect one or more (using an Ethernet switch) wired devices for network/Internet access.

Airport Express across street

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.