Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terrible Bluetooth A2DP audio quality

Hello!

I've recently purchased Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter. It's a piece of hardware that allows you to transmit sound to speakers via Bluetooth using the A2DP technology.

I'm experience a great deal of problems while connecting to my MacBook Pro. The sound is crackling all the time. Sometimes it even stops for a second.

I know that the device itself isn't a problem because it works perfectly fine with my HTC Sensation smartphone.

I've tried to change the A2DP codec 'bitrate' as shown in this advice: http://danwarne.com/fix-bluetooth-a2dp-audio-quality-mac-os/ but it's not helping. No matter what I choose, the sound is unbearable.

Do you know any solution to this problem? Is hardware a problem or maybe Apple's bluetooth drivers?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.4), Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter

Posted on May 28, 2012 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 8:30 PM

Hey,

Bluetooth audio has always been a bit precarious with macs, I was having unbearable crackling with my Jaybird Freedom headset when paired with my macbook pro (though when paired to my iphone it was completely fine). The solution you posted just worked for me when I turned it up to about 45 (I've seeen a range anywhere between 40 and 58), so maybe fiddle around a bit with those numbers, remember to turn off and back on the bluetooth device for it to take effect (restarting my mac wasn't necessary). If that fails, I remember using terminal to create an A2DP connection before it was integrated into OSX (way back in either tiger or leopard). It vaguely resembled something like this:

http://linkopia.blogspot.sg/2009/05/a2dp-stereo-bluetooth-on-mac-os-tiger_28.htm l

It was so long ago I can't remember the exact specifics or which instructions I followed, but the terminal command in the instructions in the link above seem awfully familiar. I haven't tried those instructions in Lion (again, cuz the previous solution worked) but thought it might get you on the right track for an alternative. Best of luck.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2012 8:30 PM in response to bartek_kam

Hey,

Bluetooth audio has always been a bit precarious with macs, I was having unbearable crackling with my Jaybird Freedom headset when paired with my macbook pro (though when paired to my iphone it was completely fine). The solution you posted just worked for me when I turned it up to about 45 (I've seeen a range anywhere between 40 and 58), so maybe fiddle around a bit with those numbers, remember to turn off and back on the bluetooth device for it to take effect (restarting my mac wasn't necessary). If that fails, I remember using terminal to create an A2DP connection before it was integrated into OSX (way back in either tiger or leopard). It vaguely resembled something like this:

http://linkopia.blogspot.sg/2009/05/a2dp-stereo-bluetooth-on-mac-os-tiger_28.htm l

It was so long ago I can't remember the exact specifics or which instructions I followed, but the terminal command in the instructions in the link above seem awfully familiar. I haven't tried those instructions in Lion (again, cuz the previous solution worked) but thought it might get you on the right track for an alternative. Best of luck.

Oct 18, 2012 5:30 AM in response to mmmax

mmmax wrote:

I found 53 worked well (OSX 10.8 MacBook Air 2011) on my brand new Jaybird JF3 Freedoms:

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" 53

Higher than that and it would not work at all. The original default, 2, was so awful as to be unusable.

I had set mine to 50 but it didn't work. I've been testing just for a few minutes with 53 and it seems to be working. I'm running Mountain Lion on an Early 2011 MBP 15".

Apr 30, 2015 11:02 PM in response to AlexNor

I Have some Creative T15 bluetooth speakers and when I connect these to my Mac (Yosemite 10.10.3 purchased in January this year) after a while I loose the sound effects on the Mac , but the normal sound,music/video playback is okay. When I connect the speakers via cable, I do not get this problem. When this happens, if I reboot the mac, the sound effects are okay. The problem does not happen with the internal speakers, I have contacted apple support via chat and there were no problems found. Is this something to do with A2DP?? Still getting used to using a Mac after over 20 years on windows!!

martin

Terrible Bluetooth A2DP audio quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.