Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer itunes playlist from pc to mac

I recently purchased a macbook pro and need to transfer my playlists from my pc to my mac. I have already transfered my library but my playlists were extensively long. Home sharing will not work as I am often on the road and without an internet connection. What is the easiest way to do this? Thank you for the help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 28, 2012 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2012 2:45 PM

I've done this successfully PC-to-PC, so I'll give you instructions for that. Fingers crossed, they'll be enough of a guide for a PC-to-Mac move too.

First on the PC, find your "iTunes Music Library.xml" file. See the following document for instructions on where to find it (note that it's the .xml file you're looking for):

iTunes: What are the iTunes library files?

Transfer a copy of that file across to the Mac. (Via email or thumb drive, etc.)

Launch iTunes on the Mac and import the iTunes Music Library.xml file from the PC. To do that on iTunes for Windows, you go "File > Library > Import Playlist" as per the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

Browse to the location of the iTunes Music Library.xml file from the other PC, select it and then open it. (Fingers crossed, the import procedure should be pretty similar on the Mac.)

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2012 2:45 PM in response to dustinfrompa

I've done this successfully PC-to-PC, so I'll give you instructions for that. Fingers crossed, they'll be enough of a guide for a PC-to-Mac move too.

First on the PC, find your "iTunes Music Library.xml" file. See the following document for instructions on where to find it (note that it's the .xml file you're looking for):

iTunes: What are the iTunes library files?

Transfer a copy of that file across to the Mac. (Via email or thumb drive, etc.)

Launch iTunes on the Mac and import the iTunes Music Library.xml file from the PC. To do that on iTunes for Windows, you go "File > Library > Import Playlist" as per the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

Browse to the location of the iTunes Music Library.xml file from the other PC, select it and then open it. (Fingers crossed, the import procedure should be pretty similar on the Mac.)

May 28, 2012 8:44 PM in response to dustinfrompa

I concerned that if something goes wrong, I will have lost the library that exists on the mac now....which is the exact same library on the pc...minus the playlists. Any thoughts?

🙂 I can only report on what I did, and the consequences of what I did. When I did it, things went right. I don't know what happens if it is done and things go wrong.

Jun 22, 2012 10:47 AM in response to b noir

i recently transferred from pc to mac and followed your steps... they worked!!! thanks for your help. and as an additional note, i had to click on "show" next to my playlist area to actually show the lists i didnt think i was transfering. i actually had to delete a few duplicates because i attempted the transfer a few times. thanks again 🙂

Jun 22, 2012 11:05 AM in response to dustinfrompa

dustinfrompa wrote:

I recently purchased a macbook pro and need to transfer my playlists from my pc to my mac. I have already transfered my library but my playlists were extensively long.

You mean you transferred the iTunes media.

The iTunes library consists of the iTunes folder and all media (usually inside the iTunes folder).

If you copy the entire /Music/iTunes/ folder to /Music/ on the Mac then open iTunes, everything will be exactly the same.

All playlists, date added, ratings, artwork, etc. will be the same because it is the same library.

You created a new library and added the media.

Mar 23, 2013 12:10 PM in response to dustinfrompa

I had already transferred all my music from my old pc to my new macbook using the time capsule we have, but playlists didnt go. Obviously, I wanted all my playlists on my new macbook as thats what i will be syncing my iphones up to. First, I had to go onto the pc, and click export playlist, save this file in the time capsule, then import playlist on the macbook.

transfer itunes playlist from pc to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.