Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I see all users in migration assistant?

I am installing a new user from a time machine backup using migration assistant. The problem is, the user that contains most of the info is missing from the migration list.

When I look in the latest backup file from time machine the user is there and I can see all of the data, it just doesn't show up in migration assistant and doesn't seem to migrate over if I just go ahead anyways. Does it just pick first two? Is this common and more importnantly, is there a way to fix this?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 4 Gb ram

Posted on May 28, 2012 1:47 PM

9 replies

May 28, 2012 4:25 PM in response to CMCSK

Nothing in the article seems to address any issues you may have, simply a how to. I am definitely following all the driections properly, but for some reason some, only two of the users show up as an option when migrating using the assistant. Unfortunately, neither of those two are the user I want. I could manually drag and drop the files, but I was hoping to retain all of the settings the way you do with a clean migration.

I am tempted to just delete those two users from the backup to see if the one I want would show up, but would that corrupt the backup or would the other users still be left of the list, leaving me in a worse situation than before?

May 28, 2012 5:47 PM in response to Pondini

That's exactly what I mean. I can see them all 5 of them in the directory of the backup under users, but only two of the them in the migration assistant screen shown above. I ran a repair and disk utility found nothing wrong with the disk. I have perused through different time machine support options and have not even found the problem referenced anywhere. Maybe I am calling it the wrong thing...

May 28, 2012 6:19 PM in response to Wolfki

That's very strange. 😟 I don't recall this being posted before.

Having more than 2 user accounts isn't common, but I've tested with more, and seen some posts here with other problems where there were 10 or 12, as I recall.

Can you see the user home folders in the backups via the Time Machine browser ("Star Wars" display)? These backups are from a different Mac, right? If so, you'll need the Browse... option, per Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #17.

May 28, 2012 8:00 PM in response to Pondini

Hmmm, it's never a good sign when your problem is new. Maybe I'm just doing something silly. First off, yes , the backups are from a different mac. When I go into star wars mode I can see the folder I want in the user folders. THat should mean it would show up when trying to migrate them in, but something weird is happening.

May 28, 2012 8:15 PM in response to Wolfki

Wolfki wrote:

Hmmm, it's never a good sign when your problem is new.

Yup. 😟

When I go into star wars mode I can see the folder I want in the user folders. THat should mean it would show up when trying to migrate them in, but something weird is happening.

Yup, again. But at least they're visible on the backups, and Repair Disk said they're ok.

What kind of Mac was the old one, and how old? Was it running Snow Leopard? What kind is the new one? If it's not new, is it running Snow Leopard or Lion? I assume the old one either isn't available, or no longer has your data on it?

Do you have access to an external HD with at least the amount of space as was used on the old Mac? If so, depending on the setup of the old Mac, it's possible you can do a full system restore from those backups to an empty drive, then migrate the missing account(s) from that.

The other workaround will be quite tedious. You'll have to create 3 user accounts to correspond to the ones on the backups, then use the "Star Wars" display to selectively restore things from their home folders. You can't restore an entire home folder, or even the default sub-folders (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, etc.) that way, as they're protected. You'd have to restore the contents of each sub-folder, and the ~/Library folder is even harder, as some of the contents are in use while doing the restore.

May 28, 2012 9:35 PM in response to Pondini

The old mac was a white macbook about 3 years old running the most recent version of snow leopard (and yes, it is no longer available). The one I am trying to migrate to is mac mini about 1 year old running the exact same version of snow leopard.

If I used another external, would i have to install a bootable mac os onto it first in order to do a full system restore?

Thanks for the help, btw

May 28, 2012 9:59 PM in response to Wolfki

Wolfki wrote:

The old mac was a white macbook about 3 years old running the most recent version of snow leopard (and yes, it is no longer available). The one I am trying to migrate to is mac mini about 1 year old

Rats. I doubt OSX will let you restore those backups to the Mini (we may try it anyway, if all else fails).

If I used another external, would i have to install a bootable mac os onto it first in order to do a full system restore?

No, to do a full system restore, you start the Mac from a Snow Leopard Install disc (either the one that came with it, if it was Snow Leopard), or a Retail (white) Snow Leopard disc. See Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #14 for instructions.

Even if it installs, your Mac probably won't start, or will kernel panic, or work very badly with the version of OSX from the old Mac. But that's ok, as you can then install a fresh copy of OSX from the disc without disturbing everything else you restored, and it should run.

Sorry, but it's late here, and I'm off to bed, but will be back tomorrow.

How do I see all users in migration assistant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.