Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture does not have a 'Devices' option

I have a new scanner and I installed the drivers. It's showing fine in Photoshop CS3 but the window for it is awkward and small and barely has any features to it (there is no selection to for Advanced either). I figured I should try to use Image Capture instead, hoping to have better luck and more features. However Image Capture is not allowing me to go to 'Devices > Browse Devices' because there is no 'Devices' menu listed at all. I've restarted, unplugged things, plugged devices back in. It just says 'No Camera or Scanner Selected' ... the Command B is not even working either.

Has anyone ever had this happen, should I try reinstalling Image Capture?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 28, 2012 2:42 PM

7 replies

May 28, 2012 3:16 PM in response to nerdcoreneka

Once you get thes canner set up and recognized in the Print & Scan Preference Pane (System Preferences), Image Capture should simply work automatically.User uploaded file

Click on the + button and let the Mac find the scanner (have that plugged in and turned on).

After that, hit the "open scanner" under the Scan option and you should get this:

User uploaded file

While that app is open, control or right click on its icon in the dock and choose keep in dock. That way you'll have one click access the next time you want to scan something.

May 28, 2012 3:28 PM in response to babowa

I accessed the 'Print and Fax' menu from they 'System Preferences' and the Scanner is not there at all. It would seem that my older scanner is still showing, but my newer Mustek (ScanExpress A3 USB 2400 Pro) is not showing at all.

I have been checking the forums and this seems to be a well known issue with no truly documented solution other than a ton of potential fixes.

While I don't mind having to troubleshoot that, I think my current concern is the lack of a 'Devices' option for Image Capture, which I should have with my iPhone and Nikon Camera both plugged in, but it does not. It is just showing me a shared printer from somewhere in my building that isn't even mine.

May 28, 2012 3:44 PM in response to nerdcoreneka

Have you tried to add the scanner by using the + button at the bottom of the window?

As for Image Capture, you need to add it in other Preference Panes, i.e. in iPhoto:

User uploaded file

Once you set it up to be the default for opening/importing photos, it will show the devices and open automatically.

Here is some general info on how to use it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2498

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4466

May 28, 2012 5:35 PM in response to nerdcoreneka

As for the scanner - so is this new one wireless? When I hooked up my Epson All-in-One, I had to install it via USB first before I could install the wireless (per their instructions). With Snow Leopard, I simply installed the driver and it covered and recognized both the print and scan function - not so in Lion; I had to go through hoops with the scanner part and it finally showed up as a separate unit. I thought that is silly, but - as long as it works..... I'm trying to think of possibilities since I'm about out of ideas, so you might want to consider that (if it applies). The other troubleshooting suggestions usually include redoing the "add" function after a reboot.

As for Image Capture, I am out of ideas. FWIW, I never use it - in my workflow, there is no need for it. Not sure if this would have an impact, but make sure that you choose Image Capture in the CDs&DVDs Preference Pane (mine is set to ignore or ask purposely):

User uploaded file

If that does not work, I'd suggest reinstalling the OS over the top of what you have.

Nov 11, 2012 4:10 AM in response to nerdcoreneka

Hi,

I have the same Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB 2400 Pro and I managed to get it up and running on my Snow Leopard 10.6.8 system.

First you need to grab both the OS X drivers and the Image Acquire utility from here. Weird enough they don't have the Mac OS drives nor the utility on their main site, but it is available at their German site.

Install the driver and reboot your system, then install the utility. Power your scanner up and open the

acquisition utility /Applications/ImageAcquire.app. You have to stick to this utility as the scanner wont show up in Image Capture.

I have't tested this under Lion / Mountain Lion.

Image Capture does not have a 'Devices' option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.