Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 3gs turns off since 5.1.1

Hello since this ios 5.1.1 update my 3gs has basicly killed itself it turns off randomly even if its 80% or 100% personally i think apple should give me a free repair seeming as they're software (itunes) made me update to 5.1.1 and since then it turns off if anyone knows how to fix this then it would be appreciated

thanks.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 28, 2012 2:53 PM

17 replies

May 28, 2012 2:59 PM in response to marcus hamilton

The Basic Troubleshooting Steps are:

Restart... Reset... Restore from Backup... Restore as New...

Restart / Reset

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Backing up, Updating and Restoring

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

If you try all these Steps and you still have issues... Then a Visit to an Apple Store or AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider) is the Next Step... Be sure to make an appointment first...

May 28, 2012 3:02 PM in response to AnaMusic

I have done everything with 5.01 it was perfect and i was made to update it because it said before restoring you must agree to downloading ios 5.1.1 so i had no choice but either way im stuck with 5.1.1 and i have restored it so many times and i will take it to an apple store but if they tell me to pay any money for something that i did not break i will be fuming it was fine until i updated my phone.

sorry for being angry im not trying to be angry with you guys just this is been happening for to long and i cant cure it.

Jun 7, 2012 2:02 AM in response to marcus hamilton

Mine is doing exactly the same & it has the original battery, I've never changed it. It used to do it around the 58% mark, but is now doing it at 80-90% & just turns off leaving a ghost image on the screen & you then have to reboot it.

I was forced to do a hard reset as coming home late from London, my phone decided to turn off & wouldn't turn on unless I connected to iTunes meaning I had no way of calling anyone.

When I got home & plugged it in, it said my phone was in recovery mode & it reset it, & lost all my texts & photos from December 2011 to date. I burst into tears as I've backed it up since then & they meant a lot to me. 😢

It also hasn't solved the problem of my phone turning off, in fact it probably does it more than before. I was trying to show my friends (who hate Apple) something & every time I touched the screen it turned off which didn't show my phone in the best light. The only way I could get it to stay on was to plug it into the mains.

I'm due an upgrade but trying to hold out for the iphone 5, but it looks like I'm going to have to settle for the 4GS through no fault of my own 😠

Aug 13, 2012 9:40 AM in response to marcus hamilton

This is a 5.1.1 issue that effects some 3GS devices. Mine is in the same boat, it just randomly shut down with 78% battery. Sometimes when you restart the device after a random shut down it shows the Apple logo for a while, then shuts down again, other times it will boot fully into iOS and work again for another random amount of time.

My iPhone worked perfectly with 5.0, but I started having the problems when I upgraded to 5.1.1. My first thought was that the battery was getting old (1 1/2 years), so replaced it and it made no difference. I have a feeling that a bug has slipped into iOS when Apple were addressing the poor battery life of the 4S.

@stevejobsfan0123, just because it isn't happening to your 3GS, doesn't mean that it's only an issue with that phone. The 3GS, like all iPhones, change subtly during their release, so it may only be a certain sub-group of 3GS' that have the issue. For example for the 3GS there are 5 different batteries. My 3GS is an original (bought a week or so after launch) and most certainly has this problem. A quick google search shows there are many other people with this problem too.

Aug 30, 2012 3:11 AM in response to marcus hamilton

Doesn't make a difference to me if I'm using wifi or not. This morning I got out of bed, unplugged my phone (I charge it overnight), used it for 5 minutes on wifi and it switched its self off with 100% battery.

It's getting beyond a joke and now looking like i need to take a few hours out of my day to reinstall iOS 5.0 so that I can simply have a working phone again.

Nice to see Apple just ignoring this problem, which was introduced with the iOS release that was supposed to fix the battery issues with the 4S. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a purposeful thing to force people to upgrade, nevermind if they wanted to sell their phone on or give it to another family memeber. Thanks Apple!

Sep 8, 2012 8:10 PM in response to marcus hamilton

I have the same issue as well, now it has become nothing more than a paper weight to listen to music.

Bloody phone needs to be constantly plugged in .

phone calls will last 3-5 mins unless it is plugged in, same for using wifi, data, etc.

I shut down all the apps and still same problem, often enough at 98% power, the phone will shut down, especially if using Safari/wifi, or data.

My phone is all original, I never believed in jail breaking or modifying any of my electronic equipment, I have restored my phone at least 4 times, what a waste of time.

I am lucky enough that my company supplies me a BlackBerry (that I dislike) but at lease I now forward all my calls to my Co. phone, but not everyone has that luxury.

I went to an Apple store, I did not get to see a technician (wayyyy too busy), but I saw a service rep. when I explained the problem, they would hmmm and hawww, and constantly say Yeahh, and finish with Y'know that 3Gs is quite old, you should be upgrading to the 4gs! *** ???? is that your answer. I said since I up graded to 5.1.1 I have developped these problems shortly after the up grade. you can't even down grade back to the earlier version before the upgrade.

Marcus, I think Apple is too big to think of us simple clients, and just don't care. Right now I am really considering the new Samsung Galaxy SIII.

After seeing all the frustrated good folks that have this issue, and seeing how Apple is doing nothing about it really burns me

Frustrated user 😟

Iphone 3gs turns off since 5.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.